First lens

Name
john stevenson
Edit My Images
Yes
I am just about to purchase a Nikon D300s (first DSLR) and require one cover all lens to get me started. Optical quality is not my priority at this stage, I just want to be able to photograph as much as possible, just to get used to the feel and functions of the things.

My prefered options are;

Nikon 18-200VR MK11 @£650

or

Sigma 18-250 OS HSM @£400

If I go for the Sigma it gives me an extra 50mm and also allows me to purchase a Nikkon 50mm f1.4.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I might actually suggest a 50mm 1.8/1.4 for a first lens you can pick up the 1.8 for about £50-80 and it really gives you a chance to get used to your camera and think about your shots more as you can't zoom.
Then if you find that you keep wanting to photo things closer or futher away you can then pick a more specific lens after that rather then getting a cover all option that doesn't have great optics. And you have the plus side of also having a great low light lens in your bag.

ive just bought the D300 having upgraded from the D70, love the camera....in terms of easy to navigate around and quality. my two fave lenses are the 50mm/1.8 and 85mm/1.8. mostly for portraits as i work with kids a lot. the 50mm is a great alrounder to keep on the camera for shooting on the hoof. i would love the 1.4 but i need to save for that one!

If by 'photograph as much as possible' you mean that you aren't biased towards any particular genre of photography, then I would think a zoom is going to serve you better. The wide end for landscapes, the middle for portraits and the long end for wildlife. If you buy secondhand, you'll be able to sell it on for about what you pay making lens choice much easier to change without too much financial loss.

I'd go the Sigma route, see how you get on with it and enjoy the 50/1.4 to boot. If you can find the Siggy s/h, you can always move it on if you aren't happy.

If by 'photograph as much as possible' you mean that you aren't biased towards any particular genre of photography, then I would think a zoom is going to serve you better. The wide end for landscapes, the middle for portraits and the long end for wildlife. If you buy secondhand, you'll be able to sell it on for about what you pay making lens choice much easier to change without too much financial loss.

I'd go the Sigma route, see how you get on with it and enjoy the 50/1.4 to boot. If you can find the Siggy s/h, you can always move it on if you aren't happy.

Thanks Chris, good advice, never thought about selling the Sigma.

Back