Critique First light - Loch Awe. NEW IMAGE added

Top notch - the light on the mountains, reflection, mist, cloud line dropping with the mountains, light on the castle - just a few of these would have made a good photo but you have the full set :)

Great image Chris, my favourite one I've seen of that location (y)

Thank you mate, I got lucky. It happens when you keep going back!

Top notch - the light on the mountains, reflection, mist, cloud line dropping with the mountains, light on the castle - just a few of these would have made a good photo but you have the full set :)

I was pretty pleased Dave, not very often I am happy with my own work but yeah this time :)

"Cracking" shot Chris, nuff said.(y)

George.

All been said, it's a stonker. Love the mist hiding the pesky pylons, superb. (y)

It's lovely. Great light and conditions.

My crit is that the image doesn't look level. It's a hard location as the shore Juts in and out. I might rotate it clockwise a little.

I went yesterday. Remarkably different conditions and some awful fisherman who were intent on rippling your water.

Last edited:
Great image Chris, my favourite one I've seen of that location (y)

Agree with that. The light and the mist in the right place make it.

I note the comment above about it not looking level - but I can't see that in the version posted. Looks level to me.

Thank you all :) I felt it was pretty straight, I can see your point but still not sure to be honest.

I have another couple from the morning that may be added at some point.

The thing is that it is straight but doesn't look it. It's the way the shore leads in and out making it look like its leaning down slightly to the left.

I tried taking that shot yesterday am, same rocks and all and the in camera spirit level showed the camera level but the way the shore cuts in on the rhs makes the "horizon" appear higher in the rhs than the left.

I find myself to shoot stood about 15m to the left of where you would be here turning the camera slightly up the loch to the right

Very nice great light and still water with nice clouds and the mist that nearly covers the pylons and cables

It's a popular shot and location, but with this image, you have lifted it out of that basket.
Lighting, position, composition (including the reflection) are lovely.
Plus, you get extra marks for not displaying those scabby pylons as prominently!!!

Yes .......... and as nice little bonus the mist is obscuring the ugly pylons that often blight that scene.

That second image is also great.

Both are outstanding Chris, one has Stella light and the whole thing has just come together perfectly for you. The 2nd is just as excellent in different light conditions, superb both of them(y) I bet your dead chuffed!

Back