First Light Modifier And Stand

Edit My Images
Yes
I wasn't sure whether or not to ask this in Beginners or in the Lighting section, but since I think it is a beginner question I plumped for here :)

I have a flashgun and a pocket wizard kit, and decided it's about time I learnt how to use them!! I would like to get my first stand, and my first modifier (umbrella or softbox) to start experimenting with soft lighting for still life and portraits (I also already have a lastolite trigrip reflector).

I am looking for recommendations for what equipment to start off with, being mindful that it could well need to expand in the future. Cost is not really an issue (within reason - I like to get good quality kit that will last and prove reliable from the off rather than starting off cheap).

Would appreciate any suggestions/guidance to help me get started....

For basic portraits, any old stand, umbrella or softbox, and an umbrella adapter. Lastolite? Lots of choice. You already have the flash gun, reflector and trigger.

Still life is a bit different. You need more control, much more precise positioning, two lights or more. Medium sized rectangular softbox, preferably one with a bit of a hooded front. More importantly, a modelling light will get you better results, more easily, and you'll learn much more quickly - ie, a studio head. They're not that expensive - £400-500 for a two head starter kit. Basically, if you have access to mains power, studio lights win every time. Much faster recycling too, and more power if you need it.

Brilliant, thanks Hoppy. When I say 'still life' I'm meaning anything static, for example a bowl of fruit, an ornament, etc etc just to get me started and practicing. I do have a couple of guitars to sell soon and I would like to take some photos which show them as well as possible for the advert.

When you mentioned studio head are you still talking about flash, or is that permanent light? Can you recommend any particular items I could consider, from personal experience or otherwise? The price bracket you mentioned is fine - I would anticipate that something in that price bracket would be robust, good quality, and have a decent amound of longevity.

Thanks,
Dave.

Back