First macro and close ups ever done!!

Name
Danielle
Edit My Images
Yes
180947_1855532428630_1250424262_32117278_3189345_n.jpg

180059_1855518028270_1250424262_32117263_6734308_n.jpg

comments very welcome!
I've had a SLR for a total of 3 weeks now and just wanted to share these, very new to all this!

anyone?

Sorry to be critical but it not really macro

sorry :/ i'm new to this....

As a closeup the 2nd one is a nice sharp flower against a jacket (?) so I'd say credit to you for that. Just remember that dark material shows up every tiny bit of fluff & debris.
The first one, it's a nice rose-looks a touch dark but nicely centered in the pic. Keep going.

I agree and deffo keep at it. With the first maybe try and shoot it without the flash? With better lighting it would be a nice shot :)

Scott

Practise makes perfect Danielle- good effort I think for a newbie (y)

Ive done a slight edit using Photoshop Elements 9- well worth buying in my opinion - I aslo shoot with a Sony Alpha

removed the hair and a few bits from the jumper, corrected the colour balance and added a frame ( just for fun):D a slight crop to loose the diastacting background - worktop I think

Would have been better shot with No Flash too

Les :D

I will remove this image if you require (y)

180059_1855518028270_1250424262_32117263_6734308_n_edited-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Practise makes perfect Danielle- good effort I think for a newbie (y)

Ive done a slight edit using Photoshop Elements 9- well worth buying in my opinion - I aslo shoot with a Sony Alpha

removed the hair and a few bits from the jumper, corrected the colour balance and added a frame ( just for fun):D a slight crop to loose the diastacting background - worktop I think

Would have been better shot with No Flash too

I will remove this image if you require (y)

180059_1855518028270_1250424262_32117263_6734308_n_edited-1.jpg

that's nice, thanks! very very bright colours now :)
how much is photoshop elements?

I like the first one would perhaps benefit from getting a bit closer or cropping out some of the back ground.
The second one for me doesn't really work more because of the background than anything.
Still good first attemps and keep at it. I love macro photography and enjoying learning from the guys on here!

Check on amazon - think its around 50-80ukp.

Nice attempts and keep trying :)

The rose is always a good subject, try to find some sunshine (if you are lucky) to put it in. Then you can get as cloas as possible and a little further away to get different views.

The second flower on the jacket, how big is it?

What lens did you use?

Its a cracking programme- and an absolute must for Photo editing and cheap at the price when compared to Photoshop CS5 etc etc
or if you need a free editing suite try "Picasa" its a totally free programme and works very well

Just google Picasa or GIMP both equally good and equally free

Les (y)

that's nice, thanks! very very bright colours now :)
how much is photoshop elements?

Did you also notice all the hairs and buts of fluff etc have been removed from the jumper ??

Les (y)

Did you also notice all the hairs and buts of fluff etc have been removed from the jumper ??

Les (y)

Yeah I did thanks, it was just a spur of the moment kind of shot if i'm honest but it looks great now :D

Yes Ive just noticed that

I'll give it another run through Photoshop (y) forgot to save after colour correction- here it is again

Image1.jpg

Or BOTH :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les

Ps Its right now though, in my defence

Must be my monitor then- just wanted to show how the removal of debris/ fluff and Hair could improve an image

But thanks for pointing things out

hows this-

180059_1855518028270_1250424262_32117263_6734308_n_edited-2.jpg

Les :cool:

Sorry to be critical but it not really macro

What a fantastic first post. :thinking: How about you actually offer the OP some advice as to why you believe it's not Macro? ;)
She's stated she's new and had a DSLR for 3 weeks so it's natural to realise that she's using the macro function on her camera.

Dannii the main points have been covered by the other people whom have replied. As for the wonderful first reply you got. The images you posted are more close ups than macro although Macro still IS Close up photography. Many people consider true macro photography to be an image produced at 1:1 (Lifesize) or higher. Canon produce a lens that can take images at 5:1 (5 x Lifesize). The macro function on your camera just allows you to get that bit closer to your subject so the overall result is larger.

With regards to your images I prefer the first one. Roses are great subjects. It does need to be a little brighter an it's a tad soft but that's something that comes with practice. Try focusing on a specific part of the rose for alternative results. Keep shooting because you will get better and better :)

Last edited:
another post from me today - getting familar with my camera and i knowww this isn't macro but heyho!
Just wanted to share the view out of my window at 6:45 this evening:D
DSC01019.jpg

I love it when the sky's pink, I would of stayed out longer to keep snapping but it's getting pretty chilly :)

that last pic is very nice, well done, nice colours. And another note regarding the edits they look fine to me, cant see any green or purple stuff :|

I agree, the sunset is very nice.

(green and purple stuff has been removed to make me look slightly crazy :LOL:)

DSC01040.jpg

I had a play with photoshop today.... :D also first time I've ever played with photoshop :D

Yes we can tell :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Only joking its a great effort - so you went ahead and bought Elements 9 did you?

Les (y)

I love it when the sky's pink, I would of stayed out longer to keep snapping but it's getting pretty chilly :)

we all suffer for the art of Photography Dannii- just wait till it snows lol- you'll be out with you camera just like the rest of us :eek:

Les :LOL::LOL:

Yes we can tell :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Only joking its a great effort - so you went ahead and bought Elements 9 did you?

Les (y)

Thank you and no I've been using Photoshop express for now :)

Download Picasa or GIMP - both very godd editing suites (y)

Put Photoshop Elements 9 on your " Must Have List"

I've got picasa:)

Back