First Macro Attempt

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have always been fascinated by macro photography and have eventually bought a Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro 1:1 to go on my D3100 so I could have a go myself.

I instantly deleted the first 100 or so attempts as I struggled to get to grips with the DOF, I was honestly astonished as to how small the DOF was at 1:1 and then realised that I would need a high F number and therefore lots of light. I followed advice on here and went for manual focus and moving forward and back in an attempt to get focus, but it is a much trickier task than I expected - especially when trying not to scare away an insect!

I've only hunted in my own garden so far and most subjects are pretty small but I intend get out to try to find something bigger like a dragonfly to get a compound eye shot.

I don't currently have a flash, so I think it might help if I did and added the famous pringle tube extender.

These are probably my best attempts so far but it is early days - so any feedback and advice would be massively appreciated.

Weevil by Ian NUFC, on Flickr

Fly by Ian NUFC, on Flickr

Blue Bottle by Ian NUFC, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Ian

Welcome Ian, think focus is off on all of the shots. Unfortunately Macro is not as easy as you first think... we all found out this way by getting lens or some equipment.

I think you have stopped down your lens too much also aim for f8-16 to start with as beyond that diffraction becomes an issue. My go to setting for most things is f11 and that includes beyond 1:1 magnification.

Don't try and change too much at once though, all of it is a skill and it will come. :D

For insects this size then a flash would really help. These though are good for starting and in natural light.

Butterflies, dragons and damsels - being much bigger are easier to shoot in natural light - For them I use anything from F4 to F8 (ISO 400 on my 650D).

I don't normally shoot anything above F11 (v.occassionally F13 /16). With flash F8-F11 is about right. Wider apertures ok for natural light.

Welcome to the fascinating world of the small Ian. I think you've made a good start.

Getting the centre of focus positioned for best effect takes practice. For full body shots with subjects in orientations like the first two I tend to aim for the back of the "neck", just behind the head. For straight-on shots like the third one I would probably aim between the eyes.

Views differ as to manual focus versus autofocus (and I think it depends on the camera you are using too). And opinions differ as to apertures. And flash. In each case I think you need to experiment and find what works for you. Be prepared for this to take some time as there are a number of variables interacting and it can be tricky to establish exactly what (combination of) factor(s) is causing particular (often undesirable) effects.

Most people use manual focus for closeups and macros I think, but a significant minority use autofocus. (FWIW I tend to use autofocus for invertebrates and manual focus for botanical subjects, but by no means always. And that isn't a recommendation. As with similar comments below, it is simply an indication of something that works for some people and not for others, and so something you might want to try for yourself.)

Most people don't use apertures as small as you used for these. One complication is that when using a macro lens the effective aperture (which is what determines the amount of diffraction loss) may be smaller than the nominal (as set on the camera) aperture. I say "may be" because I've got a vague memory that Nikon, alone amongst manufacturers I think, shows the effective aperture. But I don't know whether this would be the case for third party lenses like the Tamron. Anyway, the formula is

Effective aperture = Nominal aperture * ( 1 + magnification).

So, for example, if you are using f/22 at 1x magnification (1:1 magnification) then the effective aperture is f/( 22 * ( 1 + 1) ) = f/44.
Similarly, Nominal f/22 at 0.5 magnification (1:2) is f/( 22 * ( 1 + 0.5) ) = f/33 effective
Nominal f/22 at 2x magnification (2:1) is f/( 22 * ( 1 + 2 ) = f/66 effective

So if Bryn uses his Venus lens at f/11 with full (2x) magnification his effective aperture is f/33, and if he were to use his MPE-65 at f/11 with full (5x) magnification his effective aperture would be f/66.

FWIW I use the equivalent of around effective f/32 most of the time for invertebrates. (I say "equivalent" because I don't actually use macro lenses, but that's another story and not relevant for your setup.)

Magnification also effects the shutter speed you need to use to avoid loss of sharpness from hand-shake. You'll be aware of the 1/focal length guideline for handholding. (e.g. 1/400 sec for a lens with a focal length of 400mm in full frame terms.) As you know, what shutter speed you can actually use depends on how shaky your hands are, how you hold the camera etc. It is the same for macro/closeups, except the formula needs to be adjusted to

Suggested shutter speed = 1 / ( focal length in full frame terms * ( 1 + magnification) ^ 2)

Here is a table of suggested shutter speeds with the items of most relevance to you shown in yellow. Image stabilisation can in principle allow you to use slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be the case. However, as far as I can see your lens doesn't have image stabilisation, and in any case image stabilisation becomes less effective as magnification increases and so may not provide much help at all when you are operating around 1:1.

Shutter speeds - suggested for hand-held close-ups and macros - 90mm to 1to1 highlighted
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Flash helps considerably with shutter speed/hand-shake issues. As the magnification increases further beyond 1:1 flash becomes pretty much mandatory, especially for working hand-held, because the effective shutter speed when flash is the dominant light source is the length of the flash pulse, which is very short (unless you are using HSS/FP flash, which is unlikely if flash is the dominant light source). It may be best when using flash to force the shutter speed to the maximum sync speed so as to avoid getting softness or even "ghost" images on brighter days from the natural light component of the illumination.

For hand-held work you might want to consider raising the ISO beyond the ISO 400 you used for these shots if you can't otherwise get a suitably fast shutter speed with the aperture you want to use. To some extent this depends on your attitude to and skills with post processing in general, and noise control in particular. In fact, you might in due course find that developing your post processing skills may be an integral part of improving your results with closeups/macros.

You may later want to experiment with raising the ISO and/or using slower shutter speeds even when using flash. This can help to avoid black backgrounds which you tend to get when using flash and which some people find unattractive.

I see that all three images have been cropped. Without knowing whether you resized after the crop I can't tell how much of a crop these were, but obviously the more you crop the more detail you lose. Cropping is fine, including radical crops, perhaps even as far down as 100% sometimes, but you do need a good sharp image to work with if the subject is to remain sharp and detailed after a significant crop,

Hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Tintin124.

Is diffraction the rainbow effect I see on the fly's hairs? I did try a lower F number to begin with but was really struggling to get much in focus - I will persevere though with around F11 and try to sort out the focus.

Do you have any tips for getting sharp focus? It seems that with manual focus the point of interest moves in and out of focus too quickly and I'm relying on luck when taking the shot.

Would a flash help at this stage, or is natural light enough?

I'll keep trying to sort out the focus issues as there is an amazing world out there, even in the back garden and if you had seen my first hours efforts with the lens (deleted straight away), these are a massive improvement which has encouraged me :)

Thanks for your help,

Ian

ChrisA - Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I think you are right; a bigger subject would probably be better while I'm learning - a couple of these were tiny. Also you echo the F Stop error I have made while trying to get a better DOF. Looks like I will have to head further than my back garden looking for dragon flies.

Gardeners Helper - Wow - that was some reply and certainly a lot of food for thought, thank you very much.

I certainly wasn't aware of the nominal aperture issue so that is definitely an area I need to change. I will also give autofocus a go and see how I get on. I also didn't realise that shutter speed recommendations were different for macro shots.

My post processing knowledge is pretty limited and where I have looked at focus stacking software, my first priority is to get as much right with the camera first - but hopefully in due course the images will become good enough to start exploring this route more seriously.

I think the plan moving forward is to invest in a flash, lower the aperture to about F11, keep a closer eye on my shutter speed, experiment with autofocus, watch my ISO, find a slightly bigger subject and keep practising and practising - seems pretty simple really :)

Fantastic advice on this thread, I'm so pleased I asked the question - there are so many variables and so much to learn. Thanks everyone.

Ian
Keep at at we all started like this. Take some time working at 1:5 and 1:2 and building on the technique as for some subjects stalking skills matter too.

Is diffraction the rainbow effect

Yep and the lack of sharpness too is an effect.

I personally think you have made a good start and 5% of successful shots is a very good average so don't beat yourself too much this is in my opinion the hardest form of photography.

I personally think you have made a good start and 5% of successful shots is a very good average so don't beat yourself too much this is in my opinion the hardest form of photography.

Yeah thats true

Following all the advice I received on this post, I've bought a flash (still learning how to use it), lowered the aperture and have taken loads of shots in both AF and MF and am hopefully learning from every shot I take.

These are obviously not perfect and there are still focussing issues, but I would appreciate any feedback once again with a view to improving my technique etc.

Jumping Spiders Dinner by Ian Gair, on Flickr

Jumping Spider Jaws by Ian Gair, on Flickr

Jumping Spider Jaws 2 by Ian Gair, on Flickr

Bee Mites by Ian Gair, on Flickr

Those jumping spiders are really tiny and I felt really sorry for the bee with all the parasites (I think) just either side at the back of his head.

Once again, thanks for looking and taking the time to reply.

Ian

Great start and progress Ian! Doesn't look like you are having any problems finding bugs and getting close to them, so there's a good couple of skills you acquired already :)

Next step would be to look at diffusion. From your most recent batch, it looks like the flash head is a bit small, and creating harsh highlights. What you need to think about is increasing the area of the light source in relation to the subject. Either add a large soft-box style diffuser to your flash to create a larger surface area, or move it physically closer to your subject. A flash bracket might help here or your could give the Pringles tube diffuser you mention above ago.

Brilliant work so far, you've captured some really interesting subjects there with both male and female zebra spiders having lunch and the mite-infested bee. Looking forward to seeing you progress!

Great subjects and the skill is coming on well
Follow Tims advice Ian it will make another massive step for you.

Thanks for the latest advice everyone. I'll diffuse that flash, keep practicing and post the results back on here. I'm really enjoying finding hidden detail in common insects and feel that the advice I've received on here has improved my shots massively.

Thanks,

Ian

Well done on the shots Ian - although the first shots were not sharp you gradually seem to be getting the hang of it.

If I'm taking outdoor macros I take hundreds of shots and bin the bad ones so don't worry about lack of keepers, my own rate is probably about 20% if that.

Glad that you've found so much help on here - that's what we're all about after all.

Last edited:
Fantastic first attempt. My bin-rate is between 75%-90% so throwing away a lot is not an issue, thankfully digital makes it much easier, some great tips in previous posts though, look forward to seeing more from you Ian

Back