First Macro Attempts

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
While out taking some photos for my 52 I thought i would try some macro for the first time as i do like how they show the detail.

I think these are pretty much a standard macro shots, but any tips on how to improve would be great.

Thanks
6869521049_296929780e.jpg
[/url]

6869517559_b00a6d5141.jpg
[/url]

6869514763_695bf12683.jpg
[/url]

these were all just taken with the standard kit lens.:)

Very nice pictures, but I do have to agree with Matt (MWHCVT).

Consider investing in some cheap extension tubes? It's probably the easiest and least committing (financially) way of starting in Macro photography.

Or buy a raynox DCR-250. About £40 and great bit of kit. That is how I started out, and still often use the raynox on the end of my nifty or 18-135mm lenses.

Tubes aren't worth getting unless they are automatic ones, depending on how you can control aperture on your lens.

I'm considering investing in a sigma 70-300 macro. Mainly not for macro but since it has the feature it might sway more towards it. Have any of you had experience with this lens for macro? Does it do the job?.

I've had a couple of these. Very nice lenses and mine were nice and sharp, but it isn't a true macro lens and "only" gives a 1:2 ratio whereas a true macro lens will be 1:1.
Still handy for real closeups on things like butterflies and the like.

Allan

wait till the summer it's a macro paradise ...invest in a mcro lens i bought the canon 100 the end of last summer so cant wait for this year !

I have the Sigma 70-300 - the macro function is good, I love the lens.

I have 18-55 55-200 and the Sigma as well as dedicated macro. The 70-300 is incredibly versatile and is the lens I leave on the camera - I'll just switch on my laptop and I'll post some shots (all as taken I don't have a great deal of time for processing I have too many children).

The lens can be picked up for around £70 delivered from here.

Btw for macro I started out with a cheap set of filters for <£10 from eBay they were fab. Then the Raynox then a macro lens - the lens is HARD to master.

Totally ignore me - my lens is the Tamron 70-300 with Macro was having a blond moment (although the stuff about it being my favourite etc still stands)

Btw for macro I started out with a cheap set of filters for <£10 from eBay they were fab. Then the Raynox then a macro lens - the lens is HARD to master.

I'd disagree with this. I think the Raynox is the hardest to master. A dedicated macro lens, while still tricky, is easier than the Raynox in my honest opinion. I do love my raynox and still use it from time to time, even on the front of my 100mm macro lens, and is the best and cheapest way to get into macro. Think they are about £40. I bought mine from Amazon.

I don't have any macro shots as my wonderful children managed to delete anything that was in a folder with a "name" and empty the recycle box.

Op if you are interested in the lens I can pm you a link to a photo book I made where nearly all the photos were taken with the 70-300 including some macro shots.

kyle_s said:
I'd disagree with this. I think the Raynox is the hardest to master. A dedicated macro lens, while still tricky, is easier than the Raynox in my honest opinion. I do love my raynox and still use it from time to time, even on the front of my 100mm macro lens, and is the best and cheapest way to get into macro. Think they are about £40. I bought mine from Amazon.

Different for me, I get on better with the Raynox than my Macro Lens - but I struggle with hand shake with the macro lens.

I think I might try the raynox. See if I can improve my macro:)

Thanks very much

The Raynox is a great tool. It really got me into macro. I used it initially on my nifty fifty, but then went on to use it on my 18-135mm as well.
DoF is hard to manage as it is shallow, but that is manageable with a higher f stop. Try F11+ if you can.

I have some raynox shots on my flickr if you want to have a look. They are before I really got to grips with it though. But gives you an idea how close you can get.

Back