First Macro/Close UP post.

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I got a Tamron 70-300 with other day with a 1:2 macro function. I love the lens, but have never attempted macro style before, so here is the best of my first attempt. :shrug:

Let me know what you all think. all C&C welcome! (y)

Rob

Last edited:
i think its an excellent first try tbh, i also like the colour work done in your PP work

i think its an excellent first try tbh, i also like the colour work done in your PP work

Thanks!

The PP was basic curves, levels and contrast work. I am still getting my head round PP so glad to hear its working!!

i wouldn't have thought curves was basic myself but it works here, i thought you had deliberately boosted the colours, this wont work for all photos, but suits this subject great

Thanks, glad you like it. I can see that this Macro/Close up stuff could become addictive.....

Any other thoughts, tips for improvment etc?

Last edited:
300mm and you call it macro/close up? I'm not sure that it can be classed as either to be honest.

The image itself is quite nice. The colour has punch in the way that it's not flat. But I think the flash is a bit too harsh as the shadow it caused is very noticeable. Keep at it though! If you liked this enough yourself to post it for CC, then you obviously would enjoy the satisfaction of improvement to :)

Jo
xxx

the tameron lens does a have macro switch/feature when used at 300mm? i arent saying your wrong but I have that lens and would think thats what it means?

if not could somebody explain:shrug:

the tameron lens does a have macro switch/feature when used at 300mm? i arent saying your wrong but I have that lens and would think thats what it means?

if not could somebody explain:shrug:

True macro is 1:1 (life size) which means if you take a picture of a ruler with a Nikon DX camera you will see 23.7mm across the frame. If you take the same picture with the Tamron 70-300 (1:2 half life size) you will only see a image approx 47mm across the frame.

I'm unsure of the definition close-up.

1:1

1-1.jpg

1:2

1-2.jpg

Last edited:
300mm and you call it macro/close up? I'm not sure that it can be classed as either to be honest.

Jo,

True macro is when the ratio of the image on the sensor is the same size or larger than the subject ie a ratio of 1:1 or better, it has no bearing on focal length. hence why you can get 50mm, 60mm 100, 150mm 180mm & 200mm designated macro lenses, all that changes with the focal length is that the working distances increases with the increase of focal length.
Ratios of between 1:4 and 1:1 are classed as close up and this lens falls well into this category.

xSitara™;1272940 said:
This is gorgeous, nicely done :D how much was your lens?

I’ve just this week brought the same lens from J4MIE_P in the Classifieds : For Sale/Trade section for £100 have a look on EBay there’s a few on there.

Whilst I agree it may not be a true macro lens in the sense you get 1:1 it is a cheap way to dip your toe into the world of macro before you shell out several hundred pounds on a true macro lens

xSitara™;1272940 said:
This is gorgeous, nicely done :D how much was your lens?

Thanks :D It was £59 from jessops! couldn't believe the price. My wonderful Fiance then bought it for my birthday as an early present.

The image itself is quite nice. The colour has punch in the way that it's not flat. But I think the flash is a bit too harsh as the shadow it caused is very noticeable. Keep at it though! If you liked this enough yourself to post it for CC, then you obviously would enjoy the satisfaction of improvement to :)

Jo
xxx

Thanks for your tips Jo. I classed it as close up as I know its not true 1:1 but its looking "close up" on the flower.

I appreciate the flash is harsh. It was the on camera flash unfortunately. I took it round my parents having got back and was eager to have a play with the lens, I didn't have my other flashes with me. I plan to use off board flashes and triggers to light future efforts.

All of my "close up" images for now will be taken using the macro function on this lens as I can't afford a true macro lens at the minute.

Thanks everyone else for all your comments! (y)

I like that shot - and that's an excellent price for what looks like a very reasonable lens!

Re the "harsh light" - have you considered the Marumi DR14 Ring Flash? They seem to be well regarded, and reasonably priced. I've not used one, but am quite tempted. :)

I like that shot - and that's an excellent price for what looks like a very reasonable lens!

Re the "harsh light" - have you considered the Marumi DR14 Ring Flash? They seem to be well regarded, and reasonably priced. I've not used one, but am quite tempted. :)

Thanks mate. It was indeed a decent price!

I haven't considered a ring flash no, I might look into it a bit though. I would normally have gone for off cam strobist style but I didn't have any of my flash kit with me.

Nice macro, I think the harsh lighting works well and I think the DOF is great. You could just buy a diffuser to make the light softer, or bounce the light off the ceiling - theres many alternatives to avoid having to fork out for a flashgun.

That's also a really cheap price... I picked up a similar lens, the Sigma equivalent (70-300mm APO DG Macro) but haven't really used it yet. I should really do that!

Thanks :D It was £59 from jessops! couldn't believe the price. My wonderful Fiance then bought it for my birthday as an early present.

Thanks for your tips Jo. I classed it as close up as I know its not true 1:1 but its looking "close up" on the flower.

I appreciate the flash is harsh. It was the on camera flash unfortunately. I took it round my parents having got back and was eager to have a play with the lens, I didn't have my other flashes with me. I plan to use off board flashes and triggers to light future efforts.

All of my "close up" images for now will be taken using the macro function on this lens as I can't afford a true macro lens at the minute.

Thanks everyone else for all your comments! (y)

What's jessops?

Back