First macro efforts for 2010...

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
and I'm in serious need of practice - and a proper macro lens would help too.

Shot with my kit lens + raynox 250.

My finger is currently hovering over the buy button of a SH Sigma 105mm macro lens - only problem is I had my heart set on the Tamron 90mm but I'm not sure I can wait for one to come up SH.

Nice shots mate.

Personally i'd hold out for the Tamron. I used to have the sigma and recently replaced it with the Tamron and i'm certainly not dissapointed.

nothing wrong with them mate :)

Nice shots mate.

Personally i'd hold out for the Tamron. I used to have the sigma and recently replaced it with the Tamron and i'm certainly not dissapointed.

Thanks both - I may have to bite the bullet and just buy a new Tamron... I've been waiting what seems like an AGE for one to pop up SH!

The really funny part? MPB had both in stock SH last year for exactly the same price... while I was busy spending all of my funds on christmas presents and couldn't really justify buying a lens. Obviously the Tamron was snapped up sharpish by someone else :(

I thought the Sigma 105mm was getting better reviews than the Tamron 90mm. I could be wrong as I normally am :)

You seem to be getting great results from the Raynox too btw.

Not too shabby at all, great colours in them. Like No 1 the best(y)(y)

Number 2 is a lovely shot for me.

Thankyou.

I thought the Sigma 105mm was getting better reviews than the Tamron 90mm. I could be wrong as I normally am :)

You seem to be getting great results from the Raynox too btw.

Thanks - from what I have read the Siggy is better built but the Tamron has superia IQ / sharpness. After hours and hours of umming and ahhing over the two I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have the Tamron (well actually I'd rather have the Nikon but that's not going to happen!) so it's just sods law that the Sigma has come up SH...

Not too shabby at all, great colours in them. Like No 1 the best(y)(y)

Thankyou - it was also my first efforts using my SB600 flashgun. Definately helped but I need some kind of bracket to position it in the right place I think.

I would pick the tamron over the siggy.

Me too! ;)

Great shots

Very jealous and very good for a kit lens (y)

Thanks - the Raynox makes all the difference. Used to use it with my Panny FZ8 bridge camera for a very cheap and cheerful macro set up. Got fairish results too (y)

Great shots with the raynox, only thing i would say is try to diffuse the lighting a little ;)

Thanks - I have a cheapy universal flash diffuser from Jessops but I'm not sure it's having much effect! It looks like a bath-cap for a flashgun - would one of these Stofen diffusers I keep seeing mentioned be better?

Love #1 as you've nailed the focus and it's a great comp, shows what a capable piece of kit the Raynox is

Thankyou - I do love my Raynox lenses but they obviously has their limitations and I'm crying out for a "proper" macro set up at the moment. I don't expect a new lens to solve all of my problems but it's definately time to upgrade methinks...

Thankyou - I do love my Raynox lenses but they obviously has their limitations and I'm crying out for a "proper" macro set up at the moment. I don't expect a new lens to solve all of my problems but it's definately time to upgrade methinks...

What killed the Raynox for me in the end was the fact it's not sharp across the frame, cropping solves this issue but if you're starting with "only" 10mp you start to find it a bit limiting. The Raynox is a great way to get into macro though, it teaches some very hard lessons about narrow DOF and I found moving to something even as extreme as the mpe-65 not overly daunting as I'd pretty much cut my teeth on the Raynox.

What killed the Raynox for me in the end was the fact it's not sharp across the frame, cropping solves this issue but if you're starting with "only" 10mp you start to find it a bit limiting. The Raynox is a great way to get into macro though, it teaches some very hard lessons about narrow DOF and I found moving to something even as extreme as the mpe-65 not overly daunting as I'd pretty much cut my teeth on the Raynox.

That's what I'm hoping - that the learning curve won't be too difficult when I do upgrade.

Last edited:
Nice shots and even more impressive given they've been shot with a kit lens. In terms of lenses, it's also worth looking at the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ATX-Pro. I picked one up SH last week for a decent price and have been very impressed with the initial results. In terms of build, it's very similar to the Sigma 105mm and has the AF/MF adjustment ring and from the reviews that I have read, there is little/no difference in image quality between the two and you can probably pick up the Tokina for a cheaper price than the Siggy.

There is a whole Flickr gallery dedicated to shots taken with this lens HERE

Last edited:
Back