First Magazine Cover

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Pretty chuffed with this, I work in a school and was asked to do some quick shots of the kids for the school show they are performing this summer. They are really good performances which a lot of work goes in to so I was happy to help out to make them a few images I would turn in to a poster and a couple of flyers to promote the show. I'd had plans for what I wanted to do but I'll be honest on the day I was doing it, which was just a normal work day with an hour set aside to setup and take these,I was not in the mood. I was shattered I'd had a horrific weekend with my son taking a bad fall off his bike and spending most of the weekend crying and bleeding out of several places on his face and I really didn't want to do it at all. To top it off I pulled out my camera bag that morning and that was the day I discovered my 70-200 was broken as the icing on the cake. I almost cancelled it but I knew the director Stewart also wanted to submit a couple of images to a magazine in the region to see if they would run small article and it had to be done that week so I half assed it and took some photos.

The setup was super simple as ~i wanted an easy life, there were some tall white boards on the school stage which were primed white waiting to be painted as backdrops for the show so I shoved them together and setup 2 lights, my ad600 closish in on camera left in a 120cm octa and a smartflash II in a 60" umbrella behind me for fill. I'd planned to add seemless for a white floor, background lights and had some other ideas for lighting but like I said, freebie as a favour for a friend, bad mood, broken lens and so not a great shoot tbh. That said the kids came in and were great to work with it was fun whilst doing it so I thought done my good deed for the day and they'd still hopefully be better than they would have had otherwise so good deed done, the resulting images were, well kinda meh is probably a compliment.

View media item 13139
Thankfully I got the basics right, ie used a D750, low iso, focus ok, so in to lightroom to start some turd polishing getting me too...

School of Rock - 007 by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

Stewart seemed delighted with the edited images and sent them over to D&G life with a wee bit of blurb about the show hoping to get a wee mention in the back in the communities section like he got a few years ago when I did the images for their performance of Grease. I was pretty shocked when the magazine then announced the upcoming issue on facebook with my photo on the cover! I understand it's not Itallian vogue but they usually only use their staff photographers images on the cover and it was still a pretty cool feeling walking in to tesco and seeing a row of magazines with your image on the front and our wee ad had also been turned into a double page editorial on page 6 of the magazine.

D&G Life Double Cover Photo by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

D&G Life Double Page Photo by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

and here's the resulting poster and flyers they're currently printing up...

School of Rock - Poster by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

School of Rock - Flyer 1 by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

School of Rock - Flyer 2 by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

So yeah it's a pretty braggy post considering I've not been active for a while but I'm chuffed and still visit and like this place so yeah there it is. I'm happy to take c&c I'm aware of a lot of the issues already but also hey a photo editor for a magazine chose to run it on the cover so I must have gotten something right.

Well done, even against all adversity something positive came from all the negative stuff.

Really pleased for you mate, well done. Must be a great feeling. Hope the 70-200 is a cheap fix for ya, I dread any of my lenses going wrong.

Hi Craig.

Nice to get the story behind the image. Nice to see the sooc camera shot too.
Really chuffed for you these look great on here but extra special in the magazine.
Well done.

Gaz

Back