First Milky Way of the year

That day-mark tower works so well at night Neil, the only thing I might add is that I find the Milky Way a little subdued in its majesty when it has a cold treatment, I personally favour the warmer tones that you see in it with the naked eye. Still, the blue's are nice enough :)
Out of curiosity, I have struggled to truly like an image when my horizon is suggested to be off centre due to the rise in the land, am I alone in finding this odd, or do others also see it this way and perhaps correct for it in post by also levelling out the ground in this instance? Case in point is the centre left on this image, perhaps the light tones/light polution compound this slanted effect?

Regards
Geoff

Last edited:
That day-mark tower works so well at night Neil, the only thing I might add is that I find the Milky Way a little subdued in its majesty when it has a cold treatment, I personally favour the warmer tones that you see in it with the naked eye. Still, the blue's are nice enough :)
Out of curiosity, I have struggled to truly like an image when my horizon is suggested to be off centre due to the rise in the land, am I alone in finding this odd, or do others also see it this way and perhaps correct for it in post by also levelling out the ground in this instance? Case in point is the centre left on this image, perhaps the light tones/light polution compound this slanted effect?

Regards
Geoff

Thats how the slope of the field goes Geoff, you will notice the sea is level! Fair enough on preferring the warmer tones, I personally prefer cooler tones for night shots, find the warmer tones unappealing especially when there is light pollution evident in shots.

Hi Neil. I think you may have miss read my point. I was pointing out where the Horizon is implied off level, due to the rise and fall of land, I find it a distraction in my own images and was wondering if anyone else also saw it that way :) I think its my OCD'ness - your image just highlighted my perception of said thing :)

Last edited:
Hi Neil. I think you may have miss read my point. I was pointing out where the Horizon is implied off level, due to the rise and fall of land, I find it a distraction in my own images and was wondering if anyone else also saw it that way :) I think its my OCD'ness - your image just highlighted my perception of said thing :)
No I got your point, I dont find it a distraction personally. For me the sea balances the horizon so it's not an issue, altering it would be a pain anyway due to the sea level on the rhs, I'd much rather keep the shot how I saw it on this occasion.

That is a stunning shot, I do like the light coming from the tower casting rays across the field.

That's beautiful! Really great composition.

I've yet to capture the Milky Way, but the new moon this Thursday combined with currently forecast clear night skies means I should try it!
What time of night does the Milky Way become most visible like that?

That's beautiful! Really great composition.

I've yet to capture the Milky Way, but the new moon this Thursday combined with currently forecast clear night skies means I should try it!
What time of night does the Milky Way become most visible like that?

It was clearly visible at around 11.30 when this was taken, it would of been brighter at around 1.30am but unfortunately it clouded over at that time.

Have a look at the "Clear outside" app as well.

Love the milk way shot, the tower looks quite alien. Brilliant!

I really like this, its simple and yet very detailed at the same time. Its inspired me to get out this weekend as the forecast is good and I am yet to bag a decent milky way shot.

:( I'm just going to have to drop all my kit in the sea....

Beautiful shot as usual.... do you ever take any rubbish shots??? :cautious::LOL::LOL::LOL:
x

I didn't know about this tower so my first impressions as I saw the photo as a very small image on my tablet before clicking on the post was "Wow, great pic! It looks very Sci-fi".
I love the composition and the colours. It is a fantastic photograph. Well done!

Really love this. A really good mood to it.

Assume this was shot on an Irix 15mm based on the lens info?

What do you think of it out of interest? I've had a Blackstone for a few weeks and took it out last night for first stab at stars with it. Images seem nice (once I sort vignetting) but luminous marking seemed pointless as the lens had sat in my bag for a couple of hours prior to use. Otherwise, quite liking it so far.

I didn't know about this tower so my first impressions as I saw the photo as a very small image on my tablet before clicking on the post was "Wow, great pic! It looks very Sci-fi".
I love the composition and the colours. It is a fantastic photograph. Well done!
Thanks

Really love this. A really good mood to it.

Assume this was shot on an Irix 15mm based on the lens info?

What do you think of it out of interest? I've had a Blackstone for a few weeks and took it out last night for first stab at stars with it. Images seem nice (once I sort vignetting) but luminous marking seemed pointless as the lens had sat in my bag for a couple of hours prior to use. Otherwise, quite liking it so far.
Yep taken on the Irix Blackstone, really like it, nice sharp lens at 2.8, luminous markings dont seem to work on mine either.

Awesome, looks like a spaceship has just landed. The pepperpot on the Isle of Wight would be another place this would work well.

Awesome, looks like a spaceship has just landed. The pepperpot on the Isle of Wight would be another place this would work well.
Good call, Craig. Took quick look at some of the shots from that location, looks pretty interesting for astro work.

Back