First Moon shot

Name
Walter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone , first moon shot, I took this shot a couple of weeks ago, was a bit reluctant to post for I haven't got a clue whether its good or not, I see what looks like a reflection and not sure why this is.
I know there's no composition in photo but if details of moon for the camera and lens I used, i would give it another try with hopefully better composition.

Any feedback would be welcome. Linky to Flickr for better zoom >>>> Moon Shot
Nikon D3400
Lens 70-300mm Macro
F/9
1/640 sec
ISO 400

Moon TP.jpg

Did you have a filter on the lens? this is often the cause for reflections, best thing is to remove it (and many people would suggest, throw it away).

The moon itself looks very soft and it has some chromic aberration (purple and blue fringing), the aberration is due to the lens and the softness could be due to missed focus or also due to the lens, you don't say exactly which it is but '70-300' and 'macro' is usually a sign of a cheap telephoto zoom lens.

Thank you Ned for feedback.
Did you have a filter on the lens?
No filter, but did have hood on lens. Its the cheap version lens, £100 Jessops. Haven't got a decent photo from this lens, when its focusing it seems to keep clicking sometimes, putting
me right off using it, or maybe I am expecting to much from a cheap lens, will have to get someone with experience to test it for me.

Thanking you Walter

Last edited:
I'm surprised it looks that soft with the settings you had.
It may be worth trying manual focus..

Thank you Tony for reply.

Tried MF on other distance subjects, to me they also seem very soft, but saying that I sort of rely on AF as I have some vision problems when I try to focus.

Walter

When you say the lens keeps clicking sometimes, you don't have the camera set in one of the continuous AF modes do you? Sorry, I don't know what Nikon call them. Or is it hunting for focus? It's possible there's something wrong with it, but you do need some contrast in the subject to nail focus, so make sure you're using the centre focus point only and try it in various places on the moon to see if you can find a place where it locks focus readily. Also are you handholding or on a tripod? Most people can hand hold on the moon but it's worth locking everything up on a tripod just to eliminate the possibility of camera shake. And you could open the aperture a stop or two, up the iso and shutter speed. The other obvious question is how clear was the sky? I'm presuming you could see better detail in the moon than has come out here, but if there was any haze or thin high cloud you'd get just what you have here. But it could just be a cheap crap lens, sadly. The amount of chromatic aberration isn't promising.

When you say the lens keeps clicking sometimes, you don't have the camera set in one of the continuous AF modes do you?

Thank you for kind reply and help.

Its seems even worse in this mode wont lock in focus when taking shots of grandchildren running about , love the 18-55 mm kit lens that came with it so its not Camera.

Been trying all the shots out, different settings and range etc, still not happy so I will bring it down to Jessops and maybe they will do a quick check for me, only got it a month or so ago and thought it was me just getting used to it but not so sure now.

Will post on here and let everyone know the outcome.

Walter

Back