First Moon

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
So finally the clouds shifted giving me a chance to have a go at shooting the moon. Though pretty happy with the result, it is still lacking in detail. Is this simply a case of a longer lens required or stacking? Or is there some settings to be adjusted to get more from the moon?

C&C welcome and appreciated
23876547365_8b03ecde8e_b.jpg

EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x | ƒ/13.0 | 400mm | 1/200sec | ISO500

What detail do you think is lacking? You could try shooting at a different phase, maybe when the Moon is more of a crescent, to try to get better lighting on the craters along the terminator. It's best to avoid full moon or anywhere close to it. Are your images sharp with the TC, bearing in mind that you are putting more glass in the way? I only throw that one in as I use a 70-300mm with no TC so I'm not familiar with them. Is f13.0 good for your lens? You don't need f13.0 for the Moon as there are no dof issues. You could open up the lens some more and drop the iso to avoid any possible noise issues. How are you focusing? Autofocus should do the job but once focused set the lens to manual so it doesn't shift. Lastly are you using a good solid tripod and a remote release?

What detail do you think is lacking? You could try shooting at a different phase, maybe when the Moon is more of a crescent, to try to get better lighting on the craters along the terminator. It's best to avoid full moon or anywhere close to it. Are your images sharp with the TC, bearing in mind that you are putting more glass in the way? I only throw that one in as I use a 70-300mm with no TC so I'm not familiar with them. Is f13.0 good for your lens? You don't need f13.0 for the Moon as there are no dof issues. You could open up the lens some more and drop the iso to avoid any possible noise issues. How are you focusing? Autofocus should do the job but once focused set the lens to manual so it doesn't shift. Lastly are you using a good solid tripod and a remote release?

Thanks Jan, I don't know, I just feel maybe the moon has more to give. I'll certainly give it some more time as the phase changes and see how that works. Thanks for the tip with the full moon, I always assumed a full moon was a good thing to shoot.
The TC does affect the image slightly, I am yet to decide if the extra 200mm (x 1.6 crop) outweighs the drop in IQ, I might try to take with and without next time, crop the both to match and compare.
The aperture came as a result of me playing around with settings, the best of the bunch happened to be shot at f13. As the lens has a max of 2.8, maybe something closer to 5.6 might be better. That would allow me to drop the ISO but I wasn't sure if a higher ISO was beneficial to night photography?
Focusing was auto, I tried to manually adjust but the camera seemed to be finding it just fine. Yes switching to manual for the shot.
The tripod, here I may have a slight issues, legs were set to full height , which now I think of it, is unnecessary as I was pointing at the sky :banghead: That said I was using a 10 second timer and there was no wind so I'm reasonable confident the camera was still as it took the shot.

Thanks for the points you've made, things to bear in mind next time :)

Yes it certainly has glass

Back