First Night Attempt

shrimperblue

Suspended / Banned
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi I took these tonight as my first night time trial :)

washinglines.jpg

thedoor.jpg

I am learning to use the camera at night

Good fun is night time photography (y)

Just pick some good or intresting subject and practice with different shutter speeds and light for different effects.
Use a tripod and a low ISO to help reduce the noise.

I reckon theres plenty of subjects along the seafront with all the coloured lights and funrides.
How about some light trails infront of the imusements or the shoreline with the boats.
The list is endless and its right on your doorstep ;)

Just remember to be safe :bat:

I completely disagree with everyone else in this thread.
I think these are really special, especially the second one. There is something I really like about them, think its how abstract they are.
The second one has this sense of banishment. You're outside, while this warm, beaming light is teasing you from the doorway.

Not sure about the blurry light though.

Thank you to those that have left some nice comments and advice. Like I say I am still learning. I dont need comments like Rozzy's, I just needed some input. I can take constructive advice as its so helpful but I would never be disrespectful to anyone, so thank you for your time :)

I agree that they are abstract as thats what I went for. I didnt mean to blur the light lol, so I might try again.

I am going to try some Southend sea front shots at the weekend, should be good (y)

No worries, thanks for taking the time :)

Cheers

I Agree with Byrhtnoth, try painting your subject with a torch as well.
It produces some interesting results, not easy to get right though.
Keep experimenting and have fun (y)

The images do nothing for me, but night time photography is a lot of fun and you need shots like this to work out what you're doing, keep it up :)

Exactly, thanks yourapocalypse, The photos were never ment to be amazing etc just a learning curve :p

Trust me, mate, the learning curve is a lot of fun. Just wait till you get your first really decent night shot, it's a good feeling :D

(and post it up when you do!)

I tell what is good practise near to you - have a go shooting the oil refinery at Shell Haven at night. From a distance it looks like a city scape and its quiet good for practising on. Drive along the Canvey A13 bypass and there are some handy laybys you can set up in. Its makes for quite an interesting picture (bit more exciting than washing lines anyway - sorry, couldnt resist!). Experiment with some different shutter speeds and aperture settings and see what you get.

Might see you in a layby on Canvey in the future then (oo-er Missis!).

I tell what is good practise near to you - have a go shooting the oil refinery at Shell Haven at night. From a distance it looks like a city scape and its quiet good for practising on. Drive along the Canvey A13 bypass and there are some handy laybys you can set up in. Its makes for quite an interesting picture (bit more exciting than washing lines anyway - sorry, couldnt resist!). Experiment with some different shutter speeds and aperture settings and see what you get.

Might see you in a layby on Canvey in the future then (oo-er Missis!).

Hahaha! Yeah and essex police will probably hold us under the terrorism act in this day and age!! lol

Great Idea though, im about 5 minutes from Canvey Way.

(and the washing lines were in my garden lol :bonk:)

I have just realised why the light could be blurry in #2. Maybe its from the Mirror Lifting that caused some shake?

The 1st image is bland and uninteresting. The second one had huge potential. It's a great idea that I think would have worked with some sort of scene or action going on behind the glass. A couple having nookie or a blazing row? A person demonstrating some form of emotion - rage/dispair etc. This has given me some inspiration!

Back