First night images

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
My first real try at photographing the stars. I have wanted to give this a real go for a while and read loads however i made a few mistakes which i will fix for the next time( white balance, high iso noise reduction and maybe do multiple exposures).I had the added bonus of not just getting the milky way but also the aurora as well.Any other tips would be appreciated.Cheers..

Lindisfarne-Holy Island by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Lindisfarne Northern Lights by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

Notrhern Lights by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

I am truly impressed with the number of deep sky objects you have in that second shot - the Pleiades, the Double Cluster, the Amdromeda galaxy, Perseus moving cluster, and if I'm not mistaken M34 and the Pinwheel galaxy in Triangulum as well. Very, very nice.

All really nice shots mate, not bad at all for a first attempt! The last one is jumping out at me the most simply due to the fact of the framing and the light on and around the foreground subject, nice to see you posting something that doesn't have feathers ;)

I am truly impressed with the number of deep sky objects you have in that second shot - the Pleiades, the Double Cluster, the Amdromeda galaxy, Perseus moving cluster, and if I'm not mistaken M34 and the Pinwheel galaxy in Triangulum as well. Very, very nice.
Jesus i thought you were talking a different language there...lol...I have heard of only a few of those but have no idea where there are in the pic.

Joe, the last image was lit by my little head torch for a few seconds hence the light on the boat sheds.Cheers.

Jesus i thought you were talking a different language there...lol...I have heard of only a few of those but have no idea where there are in the pic.

Joe, the last image was lit by my little head torch for a few seconds hence the light on the boat sheds.Cheers.

Sorry - I'm an astronomer. The Pleiades (Seven Sisters) in Taurus are bottom next to the rock. Look at them with binoculars - they're very pretty. The Andromeda galaxy is the bright smudge top right and can be seen naked eye even though it's 2,25 light years away. Give that a look through binoculars too. The Perseus moving cluster (it's not moving......) is up and left from the Pleiades and the Double Cluster is above that. They're star clusters, also worth a look through binoculars. You don't need a hugely dark sky to see any of them. Not the middle of a town but they're all very visible from my village garden.
I'd be very, very happy if I got an image with the amount of detail yours have. I shall be out trying when the sky here gets a bit darker.

Wow! These are truly incredible for a first attempt! I have been looking to try some shots like this, when I will be travelling in a week or so, could you give me a quick guide on how you shot these?? How long the exposures were and just anything about the process you used to get these images.

I would be really grateful!

Jaw dropping.. beyond what i can achieve, astro photography i haven't really dabbled in but damn i would like to have credit to these.

I'm positively amused by your first attempts featuring the Milky Way, a Perseid meteor and aurorae, all set above an iconic location. Many experienced night shooters would be happy with any one of those ingredients. Sounds like you know what you did right/ wrong so not going to offer any crit- I'd just suggest heading out regularly to see what else you can capture :)

Wow! These are truly incredible for a first attempt! I have been looking to try some shots like this, when I will be travelling in a week or so, could you give me a quick guide on how you shot these?? How long the exposures were and just anything about the process you used to get these images.

I would be really grateful!

Thanks, they mostly were aprox 30 secs at 14mm and iso 3200 aprox, tripod and shutter remote. Taken with the Nikon D4s and 14-24 lens.

Nice. Third one for me also. The lit foreground element adds interest. Nice job for a first try.

There's been great NL the last 2 nights apparently and i'm addicted to them but it's been 10 days i'm stuck home with a bad back :-(.
You're picture are looking great. Even the light painting of the hut is spot on. I would consider that a first attempt, you going to make some jealous...

There's been great NL the last 2 nights apparently and i'm addicted to them but it's been 10 days i'm stuck home with a bad back :-(.
You're picture are looking great. Even the light painting of the hut is spot on. I would consider that a first attempt, you going to make some jealous...

I have been getting Aurora alerts and hae been seeing images but couldnt go due to work yesterday and today. Will be watching closely over the next few months for more nothern lights.

These are lovely. I have no critique to add since I can't do night photography... We don't get stars in London!

Can I ask though, what (if any) editing did you do with these once you got back home? I really admire good night photography, but I can never really tell how heavily (or not) the ones that catch my eye have been processed. Since I've never actually attempted it myself I don't really know what the raw untouched image usually comes out like.

Is there a Black Crowned Night Heron in there somewhere?

Back