Critique First offering to the forum - Cuckmere Valley

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, First offering from an absolute beginner, having only owned the camera and Lightroom5 software for about 2 weeks. I'm not entirely sure if I scaled down the photo correctly, but it's all a learning curve.

I visited family in East Sussex this weekend, the following is Cuckmere Valley and a view of Eastbourne from the A259 with pre and post editing shots for your critique. Be as brutal as you like, I got to learn right?...!!

Cuckmere Valley Pre Edit
by JamieW on Talk Photography

Cuckmere Valley

Top of the World Pre Edit

Top of the World

Going to add, all I have at the moment is my Nikon D3200 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

I like the edit for the first image, but there's no "anchor" to the scene.
The winding waterway might have worked if taken from a higher vantage point.

The second image edit is cropped nicely, but the processing has taken the colours OTT.
The grass is almost neon, and the clouds unnaturally blue cast.
Horizon's off on 2 also.

Welcome to TP though.
Keep shooting, looking, and reading.
It's all about learning, practicing and above all enjoying your photography!

I like the edit for the first image, but there's no "anchor" to the scene.
The winding waterway might have worked if taken from a higher vantage point.

The second image edit is cropped nicely, but the processing has taken the colours OTT.
The grass is almost neon, and the clouds unnaturally blue cast.
Horizon's off on 2 also.

Welcome to TP though.
Keep shooting, looking, and reading.
It's all about learning, practicing and above all enjoying your photography!

:agree:

Thanks for the feedback, it's why I joined the forum (y)

After I posted these on here last night, looking at the second one, I kinda expected the comments about the colours. So back into Lightroom for that one! Still pretty chuffed with the first one though, being my first offering to the forum, but will take onboard the 'no anchor' comment. :woot:

On the day it was mainly overcast, is there something glaringly obvious I could have done during shooting to get the colours closer to the final edit?

Hi Jamie

Welcome to TP!

I like the first one too - it's got great potential but for anyone it's not an easy shot to capture due to the height and also the light looked to be less forgiving - a dawn or dusk capture would make it a whole new photo. Great first post though - well done!

Going onto your questions, There's a tempation when starting out wiht photography to "over cook" the colours - we've all done it!

Not sure if you are shooting in RAW or just JPG at the minute but if it's RAW you'll always find the colours and contrast pre-processing to be quite flat so you will need to process it in LR to get it to be a true reflectio nof what you had actually seen/envisaged at the time.

I think a good starting point is to take a look at a few you tube vides from Kelby / Karl Taylor / Phlearn and others - find which one you like the style of then explore their channel to see if you can get hints and tips from there.

Keep on posting your shots and asking for feedback and lots of people on here will try and help/guide with their knoweldge and experiences (y)

Thanks Buck (y)

I started shooting in RAW from the start, as endless hours of YouTube videos and web pages recommended it! And for a newby it seems to make sense. I do spend most of my free time at the moment watching or reading various tips on the Internet, so I will check out those channels you mentioned.

All my photography has been a bit rushed so far, with a busy schedule! But hoping for some quality time this weekend to put together a few shots around Essex.

Back