- it is AM2 and AM2+ compliant
- it is AM2 compliant and AM2+ compatibable without the benefits?:shrug:

The Ebuyer website says nothing about AM2+

Does AM2/AM2+ mean
- it is AM2 and AM2+ compliant
- it is AM2 compliant and AM2+ compatibable without the benefits?:shrug:

The Ebuyer website says nothing about AM2+

from the Gigabyte website
(Note) If you install AMD AM3/AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0(5200 MT/s) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM3/AM2+ CPU will not be impacted.

Yes, I was going to say, AM2 is not the same as AM2+, all it means is the processor will go on, not that it will run at optimum. I need a board for a Phenom x4 processor rather than just the Athlon/Sempron 64 chips. That's why I looked at the Foxconn

I noticed that Neil, which is why I am now just looking for Phenom support - that pretty much means AM2+ minimum. And puts me back to the Foxconn as it's so far all I can find that does the job and that I can afford.

Arthur

remember way back when we all said to go for the Core2Duo??

It looks like all the £33 - £36 boards are AM2/AM2+ and run at the lower bus speed. Here's the cheapest Asus one with small form factor and full AM2+ spec on Ebuyer
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177201

If I were you, I'd chance the Foxxconn and see how it goes!

Pity about that one, but I already have one likely dead Asus here... and with £10 delivery we are looking at £53 for it.

The Foxconn is £35.50 delivered, inc VAT. Not sure I am going to beat that with AM2+ support?

OK, bought the Foxconn. Watch this space... damned annoying though because I am digging into my 50mm f/1.4 fund :(

whats the worst that can happen.. i used to run a cheap and nasty ASROCK board not so long ago, it did what it said on the tin.

Haha, I built one of these too and it was OK. The cheapest and nastiest one I had was one called "PC Chips." As memory served me right that one cost me a sound card as I couldn't get the onboard sound to work!

OK, bought the Foxconn. Watch this space... damned annoying though because I am digging into my 50mm f/1.4 fund :(

To be honest, if you're gonna compromise on the Foxconn, then the 50mm f1.8 is hardly any compromise at all :LOL:

To be honest, if you're gonna compromise on the Foxconn, then the 50mm f1.8 is hardly any compromise at all :LOL:

The Foxconn is only a computer, the lens is important!

Looking at a Foxconn at the moment, same RAM, same socket, SATA with RAID 0,1 and 10 support (and ide), and also micro-atx so ticks the right boxes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this company before I commit? Will have to be soon, it is getting hard to explain mountains of PC kit on the dining room table...

Arthur

That was the only time I had a board failure so not on my to use list!

Ah, too late came the cry, hope it works out for you.

That was the only time I had a board failure so not on my to use list!

Ah, too late came the cry, hope it works out for you.

yeah.gif

Arthur
doh.gif

Wow - been a while! The changeover got delayed by life but had to go ahead last week due to a bit of an incident. So, I have the main 200Gb drive running on IDE with the normal stuff on it, then there are the two 250Gb drives designated as a RAID pair. Now, once designated as a RAID pair in the BIOS, w7 duly loaded the drivers for RAID and AHCI, installed them, and requested a restart. OK, so I did. w7 then asked if I wanted to use this array for backup, I said yes, told it what to back up, and away it went.

Thing is, now the backup has finished, I get one drive saying it's got stuff on and the other saying it's empty? Would that be right for a RAID array - I would have expected them to both report the same data?

Well, for safety really. In the drives area.

Well, safety and speed, I am using RAID0, so not so much on the redundancy side.

generally RAID0 doesnt offer the performance benefits vs cost..

anyway back to your original question.. where is the drive showing empty? providing they are definately RAID'd correctly you should only see 1 drive?

In the drives area, as I said!

My Computer, and yes - but I am only using the array to store a copy of the backed-up data. Right now though I don't think I have an array at all though. Maybe I should leave it that way?

doesnt sound like the RAID array has taken if youre still showing the 2 separate drives in my computer then..

to be honest i wouldnt waste your time RAIDing the drives, you might as well span them in windows and make 1 large drive.

Back