First one to laugh gets it...

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
I really do think it's about time I had a bit of an upgrade... here's where I am at the moment (and this was good stuff when I bought it in Oz many years ago!)

wotwegot.jpg

That's an XP Athlon 2400 I think.

I have just about no money, was dead interested in Skippers mobo and RAM in classified but he's not on Paypal... my options for upgrade must all squeze inside £200 tops, my current HD is 200Gb and ony used 50Gb in the last three years! The kit above is in an EX-5 Cube case... micro ATX? so I may need a new case as well :(

I'd like to ask here what people think - bearing in mind my budget (and it's fixed!) - what's the best I can do?

Arthur

That's not going to fit in my case I don't think - so I would have to add the cost of a new one :(

Stick more memory in it if you can find some, another GB will make a difference. Wipe the machine and reinstall XP, load up only the progs you are going to use and it will run faster for you.

capturecz.png

This is what I got to replace my parents AMD 3000+ and 512MB memory.

Works nicely and as long as you don't want to play the latest games (although I don't think you do looking at your current computer!) it's perfect. :)

As you don't need another HDD that wipes £30 off that, which gives you enough easily to spend on a psu if you need it.

The only issue I had though was the board only has a single IDE connector so if your HDD is IDE (Most likely) then you can only have one DVD drive (unless you go SATA on any of them).

I'd also suggest trying to see if you can stick Windows 7 on it as it is FAR better than XP now. If you know anyone that is a student they can get either HP or Business for £30. :)

Can I suggest having a look at the Intel Atom kit ? I use two and although still on XP and Vista more than quick enough for any thing bar games....

Let me know if you want more info.

Terran

EDIT - Heres a review I did else where....

Review: Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core 1.6Ghz ATOM Mainboard

I’ve been through many versions of the Carpc now how ever at the hart of my systems have mostly been Via boards. Starting with the 800 and the latest been the 12000 MII which is now a media PC. The VIAs have been fantastic and always done what I wanted although at times did struggle speed wise….. and then came along Intel with the Atom.
The Atom gives the best ‘bang for your buck’ I have seen today providing a competent processor of which I have yet to stretch and most importantly a graphics card that can run without compromising the systems response on my dual core unit. The board its self comes with both SATA and IDE on board as well as a plentiful set of USB and firewire connections as well as the normal ports on the rear so its pretty sorted for most situations.
I am one of those old guard still running XP on my Carpc ( and desktop tbh ) mainly because it does what it says on the tin so after installing SP3 and other supporting software for Centrafuse I was ready to go. For the most part the drivers where easily installed although I did download the latest from the Intel site and set these up in the car to make I had no problems with my screen as I had before with the Via ( monitor sync ). Running on a customised Cartft.com 700 CTF I was able to push it to 800x600 @ 75 htz which gives a really good picture how ever the onboard card can go a lot further than that as I will mention later.
System response is almost instant even when running CF2 (enhanced features ), .net apps, GPSgate and GPRS connectivity all at the same time which reinforced my trust in this mobo’.
I had some initial concerns because some people had reported the fan on the graphics CPU ( yep – graphics – the CPU its self is air cooled ! ) how ever Intel seems to have picked this up and provided a lower profile fan and heat sink. Because of this lower height this ITX sized monster is even able to fit in to a Zoom 2 case even with a CDROM installed. All the connections are clearly marked and once installed there is plenty of space at the backend inside to hide the excess cables.
As this was the Carpc I only installed 1 GB of low profile Kingston from Lancastrian-IT.co.uk mainly because the first none brand DIMM I had fitted did not work with the Intel how ever I have not been able prove if this is the chip or an incompatibility issue as it too was new.
One of the Intel’s party pieces to really make it ideal for the Carpc and even other types of home brew customisation is the fantastic branding software they provide for free. This means your able to place your car logo on the bios screen ( the one that shows as you start it ) rather than the default Intel logo. If you couple this together with another app like Tuneup and set your front end as the shell you get a completely OEM look very easily.
To sum up I’ve used this day to day now for some time and I have no problem with the performance against my expectations and I fully expect this will support the upcoming Centrafuse 3 release meaning I will get more for my money as it moves with me through the new versions how ever I have found a couple of general problems. The first is the GPU fan…. When its cold it seems to have a tendency to make a grinding noise although it does not seem to be really affected in its movement. The noise does seem to go after its warmed up how ever because it is loosely attached it should not be a problem to replace if wanted. Another problem I have found is that the in built USB ports at the rear of the board ( not the ones from the internal headers ) really do seem to lack power. I have a number of devices which I wanted to fit in the 4 ports which are provided such as my portable hard drive and while I can get away with just plugging in one USB lead when using ports from the header I need to plug in two to provide some extra power when using the inbuilt ones.
These two problems also seem to exist on the second board I bought as a desktop replacement having been so pleased with the performance in the car so I guess they may be solves by a change of parts / firmware update.
The board in my desktop is exactly the same but with 2 GB of Kingston and I use this as my main home PC now. Having used a XP3200 64Bit with 2GB for some time before I can quite happily say its not struggled yet – and I mean that. I’ve even run Adobe CS2 with other apps in the background and it still keeps going. With a proper screen you can even get up to the resolution of 2048x1536 at 32bit which considering this is a surface mount graphics card is impressive but when you consider the price you get it at the value can not be ignored.
To sum up – for the price this is a truly impressive board both as a Carpc and even as a desktop which means Via have a real battle on their hand seeing as they are not ready today with their new generation which was recently announced. OK – its not going to play battle field 2142 ( although there is a PCI slot for a card ) I would and have already recommended this mobo’ and even pointed out when considering whether to get the single or dual core that little difference in cost is well worth the extra outlay. Well done Intel a fantastic product at the right price and having got it out before the rest of the players including some establish ones like Via they might just get the market share they are after.

Value for money 10/10
Processore Power 8/0
Expandabilty 3/10
Over all 9/10

PS If you have an older board you can buy new heat syncs which are smaller from the following suppliers who also sell the Intels.

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/intel

http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=1010&pp=137,1010

Detailed Specs

The Intel® Desktop Board D945GCLF2 is designed to support Internet-centric computing, delivering incredible capabilities in the new flexible Mini-ITX form factor. Featuring the integrated 45nm dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330 and the Intel® 945GC Express Chipset, this board is an energy-efficient solution for home users as well as for unique vertical markets. Designed with Intel’s leading edge 45nm Hi-k metal gate processor, this board delivers incredible opportunities to communicate, listen, watch, play, and learn via Internet connectivity.

Specifications:

* Form factor: Mini-ITX /micro-ATX compatible (6.75 inches by 6.75 inches [171.45 millimeters by 171.45 millimeters])
* Processor: Integrated dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330 with a 533 MHz system bus
* Memory:
o One 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) socket
o Support for DDR2 533/667 MHz DIMMs
o Support for up to 2 GB of system memory
* Chipset: Intel® 945GC Express Chipset and Intel® I/O Controller Hub 7 (ICH7)
* Audio: Realtek* ALC662 audio codec (5.1 channel HD audio)
* Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 & S-video output support
* I/O Control: SMSC* LPC47M997 based Legacy I/O controller for serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports
* LAN Support: 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN subsystem using the Realtek* LAN adapter device
* Peripheral interfaces:
o Eight USB 2.0 ports
o Two Serial SATA ports (3.0 GB/s)
o One parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support
o One serial port
o One parallel port
o PS/2* keyboard and mouse ports
* Expansion capabilities: One PCI Conventional bus connector
* Power Input: 20pin/24pin ATX + 4pin AUX 12V (P4) Connector (The main ATX power socket on this board is 24pin but it is 20pin compliant and will still work with the standard 20pin ATX PSU's such as the picoPSU-90)

Stick more memory in it if you can find some, another GB will make a difference. Wipe the machine and reinstall XP, load up only the progs you are going to use and it will run faster for you.

That's what I don;t want to do, it's just patching holes. I want the stuff on it that I have on it. I want LR, PS and so on to run faster than "Burning a full-sized jpeg, so time to make tea"

capturecz.png

This is what I got to replace my parents AMD 3000+ and 512MB memory.

Works nicely and as long as you don't want to play the latest games (although I don't think you do looking at your current computer!) it's perfect. :)

As you don't need another HDD that wipes £30 off that, which gives you enough easily to spend on a psu if you need it.

The only issue I had though was the board only has a single IDE connector so if your HDD is IDE (Most likely) then you can only have one DVD drive (unless you go SATA on any of them).

I'd also suggest trying to see if you can stick Windows 7 on it as it is FAR better than XP now. If you know anyone that is a student they can get either HP or Business for £30. :)

Windows 7 would be good, but I think dual core, HT and RAID are pretty much def on the list here. As is putting more stuff on Ebay to pay it seems :(

Is the Micro ATX requirement holding things back here?

Arthur

Thing is, this is the current mb...

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/Epox/EP-8RGF/

best I can fit is a 3200 Athlon I think, along with 2Gb RAM total. That's really not going anywhere at all I suspect. And add to that it's not micro ATX but FlexATX and I am looking at a new case too - that means the Micro ATX restriction goes I guess, although I can get a new Flex board that will take a P4 maybe... probably not going to be worth it though!

Let's up it to £250 max for definite (and pray the cameras sell on eBay!)

Arthur

Well, here's how it went down...

£62 Ecute cube micro atx case with 650w psu
£55 Skipper's Asus motherboard M3A78-EM and 2GB RAM
£88 AMD Phenom x4 9650-2300Mhz quad core cpu

When I can I'll drop in another 2Gb and leave it at that for a while until I can afford Windows 7.

Arthur

PS - prices may look up a little but they all include delivery!

Well, had I had it I would probably have done so too, but I kept within my budget and have room to upgrade still in the future. Suits me I guess :)

Arthur

PS - i7 would have been nice though :D

PPS - wait a minute, I can go get the extra 2Gb and still be in budget... (y)

Question again - is the Windows 7 Home premium worth the £80-odd cost?

Arthur

Windows 7 would be good, but I think dual core, HT and RAID are pretty much def on the list here. As is putting more stuff on Ebay to pay it seems :(

Is the Micro ATX requirement holding things back here?

Arthur

Sorry if I haven't read your post properly but that is a dual core cpu with a m-ATX board and i'm sure the board has RAID as well (although you would need a second HDD for that).

You can fit one IDE HDD and one IDE DVD drive to that motherboard. :)

EDIT: Just realised you already bought the stuff, I would have gone for the 500W psu instead of the 650 as you really don't need that much power however it's not a major thing. :)

As for W7 yes it's definately worth it over XP. There's no point sticking a 10 year old piece of software on a new PC. :)

Have you considered a MAC? Will do the more or less everything a new PC does and then some! :D

Let's up it to £250 max for definite (and pray the cameras sell on eBay!)

Arthur[/QUOTE]

OK, here's your best option.... Leave the current pc as it is. wipe the HDD and re-install windows xp.

Now, buy yourself a pc case with psu (£25ish) and build a pc from scratch. The £25 is the only extra cost you have here (OK, maybe a £20 DVD-RW drive too.... but I'm guessing by the spec of your old pc that it might not have a DVD-RW drive anyway??)

You can buy a decent core2duo CPU for ~£50, buy a BRANDED mobo for £30, 2xHDD for £60, RAM for £25, Definitely get Windows 7 OEM for £73, and buy a nice NVidia graphics card for £30

Total cost is about £300 but you get a great pc (capable of most games too), you get Raid, you're fairly well future proofed (easy to add more Ram or a better graphics card or high spec CPU) PLUS you get the bonus of not losing your old pc which is ample for internet browsing, email, etc.

If you want to get back to the £250 budget, get a £30 Core2Duo CPU, and a £20 graphics card.

Job Done ;)

OK, here's what I went for...

£55 Skipper's lightly-used Asus motherboard M3A78-EM and 2GB RAM

I do have a DVD RW, but that's not an issue. I am going to get a couple of 160Gb drives for another £60 and that will do for now!

Old cube pc will be for the kids so I can access it from the new one over the wifi anyway...

Arthur

PS - where W7 for £73?

OK, here's what I went for...

£55 Skipper's lightly-used Asus motherboard M3A78-EM and 2GB RAM

I do have a DVD RW, but that's not an issue. I am going to get a couple of 160Gb drives for another £60 and that will do for now!

Old cube pc will be for the kids so I can access it from the new one over the wifi anyway...

Arthur

PS - where W7 for £73?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173791

Hmm. I just stuck out for a couple of WD 250Gb SATA drives and you post this... I'm on £260 already!

This is a DL thing then, I get the COA emailed? Single computer, many installs to that computer use?

Arthur

its a slippery sloap looking at computer components.. its always a "ooh thats much better and its only a couple quid more.. oh and then i'll need that to compliment it.. oh that hasnt got the right connector so thatll need changing..." etc. been there done that on my latest build.. i think i went over budget by 200-250? :D

Hmm. I just stuck out for a couple of WD 250Gb SATA drives and you post this... I'm on £260 already!

This is a DL thing then, I get the COA emailed? Single computer, many installs to that computer use?

Arthur

You mean the windows 7? its a DVD copy comes with a COA sticker. you have to buy it with an important piece of hardware (wierdly though, i think a £2 fan counts as your computer won't run wothout it!?!?)

Its called an OEM licence. One pc. re-install as many times as you want onto that same pc as long as you don't upgrade the motherboard

its a slippery sloap looking at computer components.. its always a "ooh thats much better and its only a couple quid more.. oh and then i'll need that to compliment it.. oh that hasnt got the right connector so thatll need changing..." etc. been there done that on my latest build.. i think i went over budget by 200-250? :D

(y) same with cameras too, eh?

Yeah, scary. I can DL for $89.90, plus $6 "transaction fee" :LOL: I may wait a bit on the W7 front... maybe when I can afford a bit more it'll be this OS, then a couple Gb more RAM.

Neat trick if they can get it to me tomorrow!

Yeah, scary. I can DL for $89.90, plus $6 "transaction fee" :LOL: I may wait a bit on the W7 front... maybe when I can afford a bit more it'll be this OS, then a couple Gb more RAM.

Neat trick if they can get it to me tomorrow!

you'll need a new OS anyway if you want to keep the old pc...:shrug:

I have the Ecute Cube case, had to 're design' it to get the processor cooler and fan to fit. In some ways it's a good piece of kit, pretty much the whole thing comes apart, top, sides, back, base plate are all removeable which makes it easy to access most areas but it's made entirely of aluminium and is very easy to bend out of shape so go easy on it. The extractor fan glows blue, luckily mine was faulty on arrival so I replaced it with a non glowing one.

Its called an OEM licence. One pc. re-install as many times as you want onto that same pc as long as you don't upgrade the motherboard

although you can install it on a new machine, you can even phone MS up and theyll activate it for you. as long as its only on 1 machine and thats a replacement for your dead old computer.

although you can install it on a new machine, you can even phone MS up and theyll activate it for you. as long as its only on 1 machine and thats a replacement for your dead old computer.

not this again..........:bonk:

rather that get into this debate, one thing we will agree on is you definitely need TWO licences to run TWO pcs!

Back