First "organised" shoot

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon TP'ers.

Looking for some CC on a shoot I recently arranged with a fashion blogger here in Dubai. I'm really trying to push myself into being a better portrait portrait photographer as it's an area that's totally different to the normal event-type stuff I shoot professionally. I'm not sure where I want to take it in the long run but all of the photographers I follow are in the wedding field - so maybe it's eventually there.

I've just grabbed the first four of a few hundred that caught my eye to play with and upload and see what peoples thoughts were?

Bare in mind I've went quite hard on editing (based on Kodak Gold 100) to fit in with the rest of her blog work. All shot with a D750 and 35mm 1.8G

1zmknbl.jpg

ouy05d.jpg

30nghna.jpg

2uzq893.jpg

Last edited:
I like these. I don't think you would notice any better using the 1.4! 35 works for that shoot!

Love love LOVE the colours and tones of those first two! Personally speaking I think the weakest image is the third.. the pose doesn't look natural and a bit stiff. But that's just a personal opinion. A truly wonderful set! :)

Love love LOVE the colours and tones of those first two! Personally speaking I think the weakest image is the third.. the pose doesn't look natural and a bit stiff. But that's just a personal opinion. A truly wonderful set! :)

Honestly Bethy - for a first shoot she was perfect - ultra confident, always on the move and basically minimal directing from me. But I totally agree re: the pose. We were in a public diner with people walking past (and ogling) so it wasn't the easiest of conditions but I was happy to go with it for experience.

I honestly think if I had a couple who were interacting with each other I'd have been able to make something really really cool.

Well it was definitely a grand success. I would imagine that with people walking past it did make it a little harder... it would for me, even taking the pictures! Nice to see you posting again... haven't see you much lately. :)

Well it was definitely a grand success. I would imagine that with people walking past it did make it a little harder... it would for me, even taking the pictures! Nice to see you posting again... haven't see you much lately. :)
Thanks Bethy, it was a challenge that's for sure :ROFLMAO:

I'm hip-hopping all over the place trying to work out my next move - what I string I want to add to my photography bow!

Nice Adam, like the colourful pallet. How did you light these out of interest?

Being very picky, the traffic light in the last one is slightly in the way.

Nice Adam, like the colourful pallet. How did you light these out of interest?

Being very picky, the traffic light in the last one is slightly in the way.
The traffic lights were table markers screwed in... And I don't have the skill nor inclination to PS them out! :D

All natural light Kris... Another thing I'm trying to get better at "seeing".

I don't really like the setting in the first two images... messed up turf, a trough with dormant/dead grass, the underside of an old bus. I think there is probably more potential in the vintage bus/color.
The first image has a lot of good leading lines and works best situationally, but I would probably crop off the left/blown side @ the purse. The processing has made the left edge the brightest/flattest and the right edge the darkest/most contrast, with her somewhere in the middle... not the strongest approach for focusing attention.
I like the natural/relaxed pose/expression in the second. The processing helps focus more attention on her due to the greater contrast/reduced exposure.
I like the top 1/2 of the third, but not the bottom... mostly due to the dress.
The 4th image works best overall as a "fashion" image IMO... still not fond of that dress. I think the dress and pose combine to give her more belly than she really has... she probably needed to arch her back somewhat "unnaturally." And the far side of the coat is hiding/minimizing what curves she is showing. Ideally I think it should have been pulled back behind the body lines (unless the masking was intentional).

But, Overall I think you did quite well for a first go... it's a lot easier to see things and criticize after-the-fact.

Last edited:
I don't really like the setting in the first two images... messed up turf, a trough with dormant/dead grass, the underside of an old bus. I think there is probably more potential in the vintage bus/color.
The first image has a lot of good leading lines and works best situationally, but I would probably crop off the left/blown side @ the purse. The processing has made the left edge the brightest/flattest and the right edge the darkest/most contrast, with her somewhere in the middle... not the strongest approach for focusing attention.
I like the natural/relaxed pose/expression in the second. The processing helps focus more attention on her due to the greater contrast/reduced exposure.
I like the top 1/2 of the third, but not the bottom... mostly due to the dress.
The 4th image works best overall as a "fashion" image IMO... still not fond of that dress. I think the dress and pose combine to give her more belly than she really has... she probably needed to arch her back somewhat "unnaturally." And the far side of the coat is hiding/minimizing what curves she is showing. Ideally I think it should have been pulled back behind the body lines (unless the masking was intentional).

But, Overall I think you did quite well for a first go... it's a lot easier to see things and criticize after-the-fact.

Thanks Steven - very detailed and I really appreciate you taking the time!

Very nicely done mate! The Kodak Gold with tweaks really suits these images! 1, 2 & 4 are definitely the strongest - the light and pose in the 3rd both look a little artificial for me whereas the rest look, in the best possible way, effortless. Really accomplished work mate!
Cheers mate! Agree re: the third. I just liked the background and she smashed out a pose so I rolled with it :D

PS: If you've got any shoots over Christmas where you want someone to carry your bag I'll be along the road in Belmont for two weeks :wave:

Last edited:
Cheers mate! Agree re: the third. I just liked the background and she smashed out a pose so I rolled with it :D

PS: If you've got any shoots over Christmas where you want someone to carry your bag I'll be along the road in Belmont for two weeks :wave:

Just got my last few weddings to shoot this month but I'm playing diary tennis with a local fashion blogger so if we can nail down a date this month I'll give you a shout!

ps. enjoy swapping Dubai for Durham.....wrap up warm! :)

The traffic lights were table markers screwed in... And I don't have the skill nor inclination to PS them out! :D

All natural light Kris... Another thing I'm trying to get better at "seeing".

I'll check out later, isn't so easy to suss on phone, but lighting looks good.

Yeah the cone is just what it is, one of those elements you can't control unless you can squat and hide behind, not everything falls into place, every time.

Lovely work. I think you've made really effective use of the light you've found / created. @sk66 has said the most useful stuff, really. I too think there might have been other ways to use the bus, I'm interested to see what else you've got.

My observations are consequently minor so take them with a pinch of salt.
  1. I do like this one.. the fist is slightly odd now I've spotted it but it's hardly a major issue. She's showing a large expanse of bum. Maybe asking her to lean her legs to her right would have helped? Or maybe that would ruin the composition which is otherwise very effective :thinking:.
  2. Looks a bit like a product shot for the purse but it's not quite in focus.
  3. Fist again, and she's somewhat square-on - but not square on enough to make it a stylistic thing. Add a bit of turn / twist and ask her to bring the chin down? Also watch for things like creases in the top.
  4. Hands are good .. again the purse is making something of a statement, not quite sure it gels with the rest of the scene.
For me dungarees or jeans rarely say fashion so much as casual / lifestyle but she's the fashion blogger, not me.

More please!

Nice shots, take it you like the 35mm? I have the sigma and thinking about switching due to inconsistent focus and the fact that I usually shoot at F 1.8-2.....is it sharp wide open?

Back