First outing with camera

Name
john
Edit My Images
No
Hello all, been lurking for a while now with no posts so thought I would put up a few pics after my first outing yesterday.

Taken in and arround the abbey in Bury St Edmunds.

DSC_2327.jpg

DSC_0392colour.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_2331.jpg

DSC_2346.jpg

DSC_2374.jpg

Cheers, John.

2 and 6 great compositions in my humble opinion and shows you have a good eye for a picture. The B&W processing is nice on 6 too. Not a big fan of HDR when it's done to this extreme (in2&3), but it always suit churches and stuff and is kinda like the graphics in some if those harry potter type computer games.
Really good for your first outing.

Many thanks for the comments and replies, much appreciated (y)

John

I actually like #1....i read somewhere that full-on shots must be 'absolutely' symmetrical - and yours is
perhaps a little more foreground to lead the eye into the steps..?

ps...the bike has a white painted rear mudguard - they did this in London in WWII during the black-out...is this in a museum..?

First outing with camera?
Surely you mean with new camera?

The photo's are very very good, and not many people buy a D700 as a first camera...

Many thanks for your kind and positive comments, Yardbent, regarding the bike, it was just "parked" inside the cathedral, not part of any exhibition or anything, I assume it belongs to either a verger or maybe someone from the gift shop in there :shrug: when I saw it I thought it would make an interesting pic.

Cyclone, yes your correct, sort of, my wife bought me a Nikon D5000 christmas just gone, I had that for a couple of months without it even leaving the house :thinking: we recently moved up here to Norfolk and I thought "sod it" and went all out and bought the D700, I'm one of those types that suffers quite badly from upgrade-itis and my reasoning was to just buy the best I could afford and learn with that (well thats what I told the wife anyway :naughty:

Cheers, John.

Well as I said, the photo's are very good.
As a pretty much first go, it's quite scary how good you might end up getting! I totally agree with your philosophy of getting the best from the off, it just doesn't happen very often. Well done and good luck with the learning process :)

I actually like #1....i read somewhere that full-on shots must be 'absolutely' symmetrical - and yours is
perhaps a little more foreground to lead the eye into the steps..?

I'd go with that as my favourite, too. The symmetry is spot on.

Personally, I'd like a little flatter perspective - perhaps if you'd been able to step back a little and use a slightly longer focal length. But it's a small quibble.

Out of the two shots featuring the cathedral tower, I prefer #5.

#4 isn't 'grounded' - the building is cut off just before it reaches the ground. The rest of the framing suggests a 'heaven and earth' interpretation to the image, but we've just lost the earth :)

I appreciate there may have been other ephemera cluttering the scene at ground level, but it's one of my peccadilloes about shooting buildings. Unless...

#5 does, however, sit nicely on the bottom of the window cill, which mitigates the issue well.

This is all relatively minor criticism, especially for a beginner. If this is your first foray into photography, I look forward to what you produce in the future. :cool:

Out of curiosity: do you have a background in graphic arts or some allied trade?

Cyclone, Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, much appreciated (y)

Musicman, Many thanks for the useful advice with regard to grounding the building, looking at it again I can see how including the ground would have improved things, one of the main problems I seem to have encountered is trying to get the symmetry/perspective correct, or as close too as possible and seem to be spending quite some time in "lens correction"

Most of the interior shots I took were aiming up, as being quite busy, I was trying not to include any people.

Regarding having a graphics background, I was quite into 3D graphics (Cinema 4D) for a time, though purely as a hobby.

Thanks again for the encouragement/advice.

John.

Wow!

These are fantastic and I can't believe this is your first time out with a camera!

#2 is excellent and looks like an illustration from a book of fairy tales/Harry Potter type book.

#6 is very good also and has me thinking about the history of the bike and the person who uses it.

Please get out a bit more and post again(y)

Back