First Panorama

Edit My Images
No
Typically my only evening free for a shoot was tonight and I wanted to try and capture a sunset panorama of Roseberry Topping as shot from Gribdale. Unfortunately I was cursed by a mist that frustrated my best attempts at my first panorama. I really wanted a colour shot but the conditions effectively washed out the far away colours and robbed me of much of the sharpness in the distance so I felt this shot worked best in mono.

Well you've gotta go with what you're given so I had a go anyway :)

Be gentle fella's this is my first go!!

9905809484_cc392c4a69_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Nick :) I cheated and gone straight to the flickr page and looked at the original uploaded image.

I like it, its a bit noisy though at 100 ISO I guess you've put that in?

My only crit (and I would like to see the colour version :) :) :) are the dust spots bud, there's a few on there and worth cloning out for this image. I really like it - get it hung on your wall :)

Cheers Carl

I normally always check for dust but as it was a late night edit I forgot :bonk:

Easy enough fix I suppose

The colour version wasn't great I'm afraid, I got there slightly too late and light was fading rapidly which coupled with misty conditions around the peak meant the tones were muted and very flat

The location is only around 5 miles from me so I will get a good colour shot there now I've scoped out a perfect point to shoot from and know a bit more what I'm doing re panoramas. Just a shame the heather is now longer in flower now though

Is it just me, or has your horizon been on the beer at the weekend?

Err dunno! Probably!!

The horizon there isn't particularly flat as its the Cleveland Hills but if its askew it could be my poor technique

Last edited:
Just stuck the other one I took on Flickr but it won't let me link it to here?

I think there's a definite market for these type of shots if the views the first one's had on Flickr are anything to go by, I've never had so many for one in such a short period

I've edited the original and lined up the horizon straighter

I've also posted the colour version on Flickr as well just for peoples curiosity although I'm not sure about it as the mist played havoc with the background

Last edited:
OP what program did you stitch with? The left side horizon does look pretty scew-wiff. Its a lovely location though, I've been there twice. I'd be interested in seeing the colour version too. Is the heather still there?

OP what program did you stitch with? The left side horizon does look pretty scew-wiff. Its a lovely location though, I've been there twice. I'd be interested in seeing the colour version too. Is the heather still there?

Ross, I just used Photomerge in CS6

Unfortunately the heather has now lost its flower :crying:

Cheers for the comments guys, I know exactly the shot I want from there now and how im going to get it.

It's great to have some good feedback from my first attempt to show me I'm heading in the right direction.

Just gonna have to wait for the weather and the seasons to coincide and do their thing when I'm not at work and am free to get down there!

Timing is everything with this shot, I've found that its such a vast expanse that theres always a blob of cloud in there somewhere and the conditions change so quickly.

I had a pano of this exact scene published in the Journal on Wednesday but they butchered it, chopped some off the right hand side and changed the aspect ration so roseberry looks like everest!

I'd be tempted to shoot with a wider focal length too, maybe get some foreground in.

Yeah intend to take a few at varying focal lengths when the conditions are better which will also add a bit of depth to the scene

These were just practice

Back