First Photo, my attempt at panning

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I took this photo at my local scooter club in chester-le-street last night, its my first attempt at panning,
I was using my canon 350d with the kit lens,
1/60, f/7.1, ISO800
its been slightly cropped to edit out a fence post,

It was a shame his spoiler had just falen off before i took the pic lol,

2458977484_45608a7891.jpg

Thanks for looking

Scott

Nicely exposed. There is a real sense of movement in this image that makes me feel queezy looking at it. Scooter and rider lovely and sharp (y)

I like it too(y)(y). Nice to see DM's and Trojan. Oi, Oi, Oi Never Surrender:clap::clap:

Good shot, Rider and bike are really sharp !

Background, and the incoming car also add great sense of motion! (y)

Hi

very well composed, with lovely colours, car on other side gives a good impression of speed in the pic, well done(y)

Nice technique but why such a high ISO? It wasn't dark by the looks of it.

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.......wooooo like the sharpness and colours of the bike/rider......well done :) but where is his fishtail parker? with all the beer towels stitched on the back......:)

Cheers for the comment :), were not all mods that ride scooters :nono: lol

@ dolomitefan, it was about 8:20 last night it was just starting to get darker and with experience from last time i tried it about take pics about that time they came out a tad blurred, but im still learning and experimenting, i'll try it a bit lower next time ;)

@ badgerbaiter yeah your right, the spoiler coming off does make it different, i didnt think that at the time, thanks :)

and thanks to everyone for the positive comments :)(y),

I'll sure i'll get better with more experience,

Scott

Good capture, esp at 1/60. You've done well to keep the subject clear throughout. Was going to question the high ISO but you've answered already. Your shot's made me want to go have a bash at urban (rather than trackside) panning (y)

Nice mate. There are millions of these lambretta style scooters in Llandudno this weekend!

Yeah its the one of the National Scooter rallys there this weekend :)

@ AndWhy, there not much chance of me doing any track photography, so thats the best i can do to practice, when you say " Good capture, esp at 1/60" would it be easier at a faster speed?

Cheers

Scott

Yeah its the one of the National Scooter rallys there this weekend :)

@ AndWhy, ... when you say "Good capture, esp at 1/60" would it be easier at a faster speed?

I'd tend to use upwards of 1/160 for track; any slower and there's a tendency for only part of the subject to be sharp (have a look at one of my photos in the recent MeganeSport thread to see what I mean (although that was adventurously slow at 1/15)).

Bear in mind, though, that the amount of motion blur is a factor of shutter speed and the amount the camera moves (in itself a factor of subject speed and distance of subject from camera).

However, if you retook your scooter shot at 1/160 or above you'd end up with little or no motion blur (the car in the background might still be blurred as it also was moving).

I wouldn't say it would be easier but your results might be a bit more consistent. But your original shot suggests you have a good panning technique so the best thing you can do is keep practicing to find what works for you.

Really nice shot... and considering blurred panning shots seem to be he only thing i can take i think thats a big (y)

I'd tend to use upwards of 1/160 for track; any slower and there's a tendency for only part of the subject to be sharp (have a look at one of my photos in the recent MeganeSport thread to see what I mean (although that was adventurously slow at 1/15)).

Bear in mind, though, that the amount of motion blur is a factor of shutter speed and the amount the camera moves (in itself a factor of subject speed and distance of subject from camera).

However, if you retook your scooter shot at 1/160 or above you'd end up with little or no motion blur (the car in the background might still be blurred as it also was moving).

I wouldn't say it would be easier but your results might be a bit more consistent. But your original shot suggests you have a good panning technique so the best thing you can do is keep practicing to find what works for you.

Thanks for taking the time to expalin that (y), I seem to grasp what your saying, i'll have to go and find some more subjects to practice on :), yeah i see what you mean on your megane pics, I love number 4 :clap:

Thanks

Scott

Back