First photography job advice

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked to photograph a wedding in July and also an engagement party next month. These are the first time I've had to photograph events on request. I am nowhere near professional standard, more an enthusiastic amatuer looking to build experience and a portfolio. I am looking for some advice and any helpful hints and tips to help me.

I will be meeting with both potential clients soon and I will be making sure that they fully understand that I am not a professional and it is going to be my first time shooting these events. In terms of charging for these, I am going to do these for free.

What is the deal with insurance? Would I need to get full public indemnity insurance?

I will have the following as my equipment:

D7000
D3100 (backup)
17-55mm
35mm f1.8
85mm f1.8
18-55mm
55-300mm
One Yonguno flash and triggers
Umbrella

Would you recommend that I rent a 70-200 mm or is the kit adequate? My only concern is the telephoto range, not sure if the 55-300mm will be fast enough.

You can shoot most of a wedding using a short zoom and a good flash - you only really need anything longer as an aisle shortener in the church (for which you can use a tripod). My advice is "KISS" - keep it simple, don't keep changing lenses, you'll miss shots, probably fumble it, drop a lens and get dust in the camera. Use on-camera flash for fill (ideally with a Stofen or "card" reflector). You may need to get something like a good Nissin gun for this job... (Speed of the long lens is pretty irrelevant for an aisle-shortener on a tripod)

Having dealt with the equipment, I really can't see the point in insurance, you're a friend doing a favour.

Here's what I wrote to a family member in a similar position "my advice is to forget all about "primes", and the advice of inexperienced pixel peepers - when you do a wedding, look upon it almost as war photography - you're going out there (probably in hostile conditions - crap weather, bolshie bride's mums, plastered people etc) - your first priority is to produce results, and your professional "life" is on the line - you can get over 90% of what you need with a short zoom, and fill-flash the lot! (It ensures "results" - in bright sun it lightens the shadows, on a dull day it warms it up, and those catch-lights in the eyes are very flattering). The only time to use natural light is for a few shots in the church when flash would be intrusive (you'll be allowed to use flash for the signing of the register, and return down the aisle) - use relatively low iso figures, which give higher quality.............

The hardest part of all is to get the crowd on your side, which comes with experience - for the dreaded groups I found that simple "additive" groups are the easiest (and quickest) -start with the couple, get the shots you want, then step to the side and motion the "press pack" into the position you were occupying - "go on, it's your turn" - as soon as they've "had a go" motion them out of the way add the bridesmaids, best man (men?), take your shots, then let them have a go - then add parents, brothers and sisters, close relatives, anybody who's related to any of them, then "the world and his wife" (yes sir, you over there behind the gravestone, that includes you too!), stopping after each one to let the crowd have a go. This is a quick way, there's no to-ing and froi-ng, and there's no nonsense of going through a list (which never works). Suggest to the couple beforehand that you do the simple traditional groups at the venue (20 minutes tops, on a cold day I've done it in under 5!), then any other informal groups at the reception venue (where the pressure is off, and you can do the "me with uncle Alf, and a shot with my workmates shots")

However ghastly they are, be nice all the time, bend over backwards to give them whatever they want (indulge in a dose of primal scream therapy when you get home.....):D

Hope that helps.........

Last edited:
Your kit should be fine. It might not be ideal, but then this is your first job to shoot the party and wedding. Personally I wouldn't hire a 70-200mm for a job I wasn't going to get paid for.... you'll be making a material loss, as well as the investment in your time.

My 70-200mm was used primarily in the church for reach, and allowed me more flexibility to position myself where I wanted. That was on a FF camera. With the 55mm on a 1.5x you have sufficient length to shoot flattering portraits with compression, and the 85mm will give you additional reach if you require it.

What is the deal with insurance? Would I need to get full public indemnity insurance?

Having dealt with the equipment, I really can't see the point in insurance, you're a friend doing a favour.

Taking on a job like this puts you in the position of being the "professional photographer" even if the amount you charge is £0. Insurance risk rarely differs with the amount you charge....(only really indirectly if you are charging high fees working with clients who might require more than the £75k of PI cover per claim)

So. You'll need to ensure you have professional equipment cover for yourself - as a household policy won't likely pay out if you are shooting a wedding. You'll need 3rd Party Liability in case someone injures themselves on your equipment, or due to your direction, and you would be recommended to have Professional Indemnity in case the couple claim that you failed to perform your duties (no matter the cost they paid) and ask you for recompense, or indeed to finance a re-shoot.

At no point does "doing a favour" prevent this. In fact people receiving favours and deals tend to be more demanding and less forgiving than people who hire you because they believe you are worth the money you are charging.

The advice about dealing with people is sound. But that comes with experience, and this job is the first part of gaining that. Don't expect it to flow perfectly, prepare for eventualities, keem calm, make decisions and stick to them and edit hard.

Good luck with it.

It's not clear to me if you are charging for your services or not?

If you are then I'd look at some professional indemnity insurance at a minimum. If you are not then I'd say this classes more as a friend doing a friend a favour so I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Having had a quick peek at your website I'd say you have enough technical knowledge to get some good shots. As the main photographer your interpersonal skills will be on test just as much if not more than your photography skills.

Common scenarios are how do you coral a bunch of people more interested in chatting and getting drunk to group up for a shot?

Or what about that pesky child who is pulling at your trouser leg to have a go on your big camera? As much as you want to, you can't give them a swift kick! :LOL:

If he's doing a freebie, he really does not need insurance - or everyone with a camera at a wedding would need it........... as he's doing it for free he needs to make plain to the clients that it is at their own risk, and if they are worried about insurance they should take out their own "all risk" policy for the wedding which would cover any problems (if they're getting a freebie, they can pay for the extras!) :cool:

Thanks a lot for all of the useful advice! Definately lots of things to think about. For all you professional photographers out there, do any of you have an assistant to help? I would imagine that this would be useful to have but for these jobs I will just be on my own.

Use on-camera flash for fill (ideally with a Stofen or "card" reflector).

I would prefer to use my flashgun for fill rather than the harsh on camera flash. I have a manual yonguno and could mount it to the hot shoe.

However ghastly they are, be nice all the time, bend over backwards to give them whatever they want (indulge in a dose of primal scream therapy when you get home.....)

I'm usually quite patient and personable so hopefully I can give them whatever they want! The thing I am dreading is organising people especially with no assistant. Need to make use of the best man, ushers and bridesmaids.

With the 55mm on a 1.5x you have sufficient length to shoot flattering portraits with compression, and the 85mm will give you additional reach if you require it.

I was originally thinking of using the 17-55 on the D7000 and the 85mm on the D3100 so if I need the extra 30mm reach it's to hand. What are your thoughts on using the 55-300mm? I suppose it depends on how much space I'll have and the venue.

It's not clear to me if you are charging for your services or not?

I'm doing both jobs for free.

If he's doing a freebie, he really does not need insurance - or everyone with a camera at a wedding would need it...........

Still confused about insurance! As there are two different opinions here!

Your plan to use both bodies with the 85mm on one is sound to me. the 55-300 is too slow for indoors (where you'll most likely be shooting with a tele - speeches). The 85mm allows for some creative use of DoF without allowing enough space to get a crowd between you and your subject.

Except it means you no longer have a spare camera. If the worst should happen and you fall over carrying two cameras with lenses attached, you'll need a 3rd body with the kit lens ready to go (borrow one if you can).

I agree about Keeping it Simple, but I disagree about additive groups. We always start with the largest group, then you can get rid of most of the bystanders. The most common complaint about photographers is 'they kept everyone waiting an hour while they took endless pictures'. Note it'll be your fault, no matter how important the shot list is to the B&G (advise them of a max number of groups beforehand).

Largest groups, then grandparents (you don't want them waiting around) then the parents and siblings - leaving you the bridal party and couple, then shoot the bridal party leaving the B&G to have a relaxed time for portraits (without a cast of hundreds waiting for them to finish).

Insurance - you really need a contract - even if you're shooting for free. Once the contract is in place, your household insurance won't consider your plea of 'shooting for free'.

Equipment and PL insurance is a minimum, I'd argue that PI insurance is a waste of money. No insurance company would pay out for you not 'performing as expected', no matter how much it looks like it's covering your back. Your contract should make no qualitative or quantitative promises, and shouldn't guarantee that you'll turn up. You don't want to be sued because you had a car accident on the way to the brides house.

I would prefer to use my flashgun for fill rather than the harsh on camera flash. I have a manual yonguno and could mount it to the hot shoe.

He meant your flashgun whilst attached to your camera hot shoe.
That's on camera flash as opposed to off camera flash:).

Couldn't disagree more about the groups - if you do additive or cumulative groups, there's no confusion, no faffing, they move from behind you to in front - there is no point in hanging about (as I said, 20 minutes tops) - they're all keen to be off for a drink, and you're the one in the way - as soon as they see you're getting a move on, helping them get their photos they'll be "on your side" and should be game to give you a grin when they're in the photo - once you've reached the world and his wife, you have them all captive, and hopefully have their attention, at which point you can ask those with confetti to congregate outside the lych gate (or whatever) so you can get the bride and groom ready, the confetti chuckers ready, and hopefully have them walk through a gale of confetti.......
As I said, keep it short, sharp and to the point outside the church - as for "shot list" outside the church - I would point out that it was impossible to work to one at the meeting the week before the wedding (I'd forewarn them not to waste time on making one when they booked), it would take hours, and would gently explain my usual "cumulative group" method - I never had any wedding where they chose to depart from it, and the usual comment from guests was "what a refreshing change, not hanging about". There's bags of opportunities for those "extra" shots at the reception when all the pressure's off...(for which a list is reasonable - give it to the best man, and let him do the legwork rounding them up - there's a chance he knows who they are!)
As for insurance, it would appear the world has become a great deal more litigious in the few years since I hung up my cameras and went off and did other things - this'll make 'em wince - I never carried ANY insurance (apart from motor insurance) for some 20 years, I also never let a couple down - nowadays I can be persuaded out for family and friends' weddings, and give them my services as their wedding present - I'm certainly not going to start bothering with insurance or contracts.........

As for "assistants", I did try a couple of times to have "bag carriers", but got close to killing them as all they did was make the job harder - as for a "second shooter", by the time they've got round to taking it, I've already done it, and they get in the way! (People were paying ME for my photography, not my assistant's):D

And another plea for simplicity when you're starting out - one camera, one lens (a short zoom), one flashgun for 90% of the shots - worry about the finesse once you know you're getting results having done a few weddings.....

Couldn't disagree more about the groups - if you do additive or cumulative groups, there's no confusion, no faffing, they move from behind you to in front - there is no point in hanging about (as I said, 20 minutes tops) - they're all keen to be off for a drink, and you're the one in the way - as soon as they see you're getting a move on, helping them get their photos they'll be "on your side" and should be game to give you a grin when they're in the photo - once you've reached the world and his wife, you have them all captive, and hopefully have their attention, at which point you can ask those with confetti to congregate outside the lych gate (or whatever) so you can get the bride and groom ready, the confetti chuckers ready, and hopefully have them walk through a gale of confetti.......
As I said, keep it short, sharp and to the point outside the church - as for "shot list" outside the church - I would point out that it was impossible to work to one at the meeting the week before the wedding (I'd forewarn them not to waste time on making one when they booked), it would take hours, and would gently explain my usual "cumulative group" method - I never had any wedding where they chose to depart from it, and the usual comment from guests was "what a refreshing change, not hanging about". There's bags of opportunities for those "extra" shots at the reception when all the pressure's off...(for which a list is reasonable - give it to the best man, and let him do the legwork rounding them up - there's a chance he knows who they are!)

All that says is that you were really good at getting the groups organised and out of the way, using all your experience and knowledge - not that it's the best way for someone else to do it (particularly not a rookie).

The OP will be feeling under plenty of pressure - the more of that he can get rid of by not shooting in front of a big crowd the better? Surely:thinking:

If he's doing a freebie, he really does not need insurance - or everyone with a camera at a wedding would need it........... as he's doing it for free he needs to make plain to the clients that it is at their own risk, and if they are worried about insurance they should take out their own "all risk" policy for the wedding which would cover any problems (if they're getting a freebie, they can pay for the extras!) :cool:

Sorry but that just doesn't cut it.

Guests at a wedding are just guests. Taking photos is incidental to the purpose they are there for. If an individual is there as a photographer, then the venue may expect you to have 3PL, and if a guest, or member of staff trips over your bag/tripod/camera strap then it will be the photographer that gets the bill not the couple - wedding insurance doesn't cover the photographers liability - just the venue going bust, cake being dropped, cancellation charges if the wedding is called off by the couple etc.

Cost of the service from the photographer has nothing to do with it.

I have no issue with people starting out and working for free - but if someone is going to do that to build a portfolio to get into the business then they need to operate as a professional - and that means having insurance cover.

Pretending to be a guest, putting it on the couple, all of these things are bad practice. They will bite the photographer and they set a poor example as to how real professionals behave.

I suggested the cumulative groups method for a beginner because it is so simple - they go from behind to in front - once they're in the group, they stay there (no to-ing and fro-ing) - bit of cajoling to arrange them, job done..... It's fast, easy to accomplish, the crowd soon susses what's going on, and best of all the crowd stays on your side - you're helping them get their photos, you're gently pulling their legs and making it "fun", and they can see the free drinks are getting closer.......:D

Another little pointer for the groups, when you get to wanting the parents in the picture, just yell "Mums and Dads please", and don't blink at how many join the group (I've had 8 before now - remarriages and all that!)

I'll not argue about insurance for professionals (what a sad indictment of modern society), BUT if you're good enough to be offering your services for free, my attitude is that they can jolly well pay for insurance - as I said, you could suggest they take out an "all risks" policy for the whole wedding which would cover them

There is some good and bad advice here so to add to the confusion heres my bit:

Agree with the "kiss" the simpler the better for you.
Try to avoid changing lenses as you'll have plenty to think about without trying to get too arty or technical. By all means run two bodies with one short zoom and one longer.
Meet with B&G and sort out shoot list you are both happy with and shoot in order you feel most comfortable. Get there early and speak with the vicar/registrar and ask about does & donts. Dont worry about hiring a lenses just work with what you have. you could always take a tripod and shoot from the rear.

Doing it for free is your choice but as you will be there as official photographer so insurance for both equipment and PL is a must.

Herrumph - "shoot lists" - whaffor?, all they do is complicate things - when presented with a carefully drawn up list of shots you'll know who the bride and groom are, you may have met the odd parent or sibling before the wedding, but apart from that they're a sea of unidentified names/faces.
I'll try to explain my really simple system - you go and have a chat with the bride and groom the week running up to the wedding (and make sure you get the final payment out of them - never set foot at a wedding unless paid in full beforehand), and then suggest you'll run through what's going to happen in chronological order so everybody knows what's happening - the only notes you need to take are what is different from the normal "order"- things like "horse and cart for bride and her dad" - "touchy vicar", "Aunty Grace is a bit of a pain when she's had a few" etc - the "special pictures" are nearly always best taken at the reception, so you ask the bride what she'd like (workmates groups, picture with Granny, lots with the kids she teaches etc), and perhaps make a rough note, but generally it's far easier to say to the bride at the appropriate time "shall we shoot Granny?" - and do all the "special" shots at the same time - (let the couple worry about who they want in the extra shots)
Agree about the polite word with the vicar beforehand as to what he allows, but beware of vergers - in my bitter experience they're almost always warp, twitter and bisted, and hate photographers on sight :D

Last edited:
Utterly, totally & spectacularly disagree Martin. For me a groups list makes that part of the day so easy & ensures that I get the groups the couple want with no chance of forgetting one. Why let the couple have the worry of remembering who they want in their groups when they can spend a few minutes before hand putting a list together starting with the recommended list I give them, which I prepare for them when I know the situation with their parents. If the bride's mother is dead I'll have tactfully found that out way before the wedding.

Last edited:
Why complicate it? - lists are a b**** to work from - I haven't a clue who most people are - I'll have done my usual "cumulative groups", so all there is to "worry about" are those that depart from the norm (that I gave examples of, and are usually best taken at the reception) - you discuss those with the couple in the week prior to the wedding, as I said, perhaps make a note of them to glance through before you enter the fray, but if a list is to be used it is FAR better in the hands of a family member (or the best man) - they can put faces to names.

If the bride's Mum is no more, has a booze problem or will be appearing with her new toyboy husband that everybody hates, you'll probably have been forewarned, otherwise as I said, you yell "parents of the bride and groom" and see who pops up - they'll soon yell if there's anybody missing...:D

For me the church groups were really simple and straightforward, the "chocolate box shots" were pretty simple too (just ask at the meeting before the day who else they want in them - some just want the couple, some want page boys, bridesmaids and best men - some want the parents and allsorts too) - no need for a list of shots at all - just make it plain you're there to take the photos they want, and you're very happy to be asked by anyone to take photos (particularly the mums and dads). Yes you have to have a structure, but often the best shots are those you "grab", or the bride asks for on a whim...

Last edited:
Well, just to prove that there really are no hard and fast rules, I agree with Martin about shot lists.

We really sell ourselves as a more PJ photographer, and we don't do loads of groups, we have a chat with the B&G to find out if they really want a load of group shots, they generally say no, we ask if there are any 'special' groups. We can rattle off the usual handful of group shots in very little tiime, and only have notes if there was something special (not common).

If I thought that a large part of my day was made up of a list of 'must have' shots I'd lose some of my love of shooting weddings.

shooting 10 or a dozen groups is hardly a large part of the day, about 15 minutes tops.
My couples want group shots & I am happy to shoot them so I ensure that the groups they want get done.

I started out using a list of groups and it's a pain in the backside. Rounding people up is hard enough. Even harder knowing you have a list to work from and a list the B&G can nail you with after if there's a group missing. Easier to just go with groups available there and if uncle Pete is in the bar getting drink then that's tough luck.

shooting 10 or a dozen groups is hardly a large part of the day, about 15 minutes tops.
My couples want group shots & I am happy to shoot them so I ensure that the groups they want get done.

Well there y go then.

I don't need a list for 10 or 12 groups:thinking:. If I needed a list, it'd be a lot of groups.

This forum is very different from a lot of other photography forums. Many would reply to someone with a similar question to the OP's with suggestions that they should leave it to professionals, get some experience as a second shooter, etc, etc.

It's nice to see actual, useful advice being given for a change.

Steve.

Herrumph - "shoot lists" - whaffor?, all they do is complicate things - when presented with a carefully drawn up list of shots you'll know who the bride and groom are, you may have met the odd parent or sibling before the wedding, but apart from that they're a sea of unidentified names/faces.
I'll try to explain my really simple system - you go and have a chat with the bride and groom the week running up to the wedding (and make sure you get the final payment out of them - never set foot at a wedding unless paid in full beforehand), and then suggest you'll run through what's going to happen in chronological order so everybody knows what's happening - the only notes you need to take are what is different from the normal "order"- things like "horse and cart for bride and her dad" - "touchy vicar", "Aunty Grace is a bit of a pain when she's had a few" etc - the "special pictures" are nearly always best taken at the reception, so you ask the bride what she'd like (workmates groups, picture with Granny, lots with the kids she teaches etc), and perhaps make a rough note, but generally it's far easier to say to the bride at the appropriate time "shall we shoot Granny?" - and do all the "special" shots at the same time - (let the couple worry about who they want in the extra shots)
Agree about the polite word with the vicar beforehand as to what he allows, but beware of vergers - in my bitter experience they're almost always warp, twitter and bisted, and hate photographers on sight :D

Load of rubbish!

We are talking about someone who will be covering a wedding for the first time. Nerves will be jangling and no matter how much he checks things beforehand on the day he'll probably forget everything. At least with a shoot list (even today I have one for groups) he'll have something to refer to should he need it plus with it agreed beforehand should avoid any missing shots.

Well there y go then.

I don't need a list for 10 or 12 groups:thinking:. If I needed a list, it'd be a lot of groups.

So you can remember if the couple want a shot with their godparents or the brides grandmother, oh, or was it the grooms grandmother & was it the brides sister but not the grooms sister because he hates her & which step parents get on & which don't & was it Aunty Madge or aunty Flo who was important to the bride & she definitely wanted a photo with but the brides a bit tiddly & can't remember when you're shooting 5 weddings in 7 days. I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Just thinking back to my wedding I wasn't asked which groups we wanted. The photography just said that we can chose on the day. We had about 7-8 group shots Grandparents, children, etc etc. We were happy with that and got the pictures we wanted without the stress of sorting people out.

On the other hand for a first time wedding I can understand why a list may be useful just so any crucial groups aren't missed.

Really am sat on the fence...

So you can remember if the couple want a shot with their godparents or the brides grandmother, oh, or was it the grooms grandmother & was it the brides sister but not the grooms sister because he hates her & which step parents get on & which don't & was it Aunty Madge or aunty Flo who was important to the bride & she definitely wanted a photo with but the brides a bit tiddly & can't remember when you're shooting 5 weddings in 7 days. I'm impressed.

When you're taking as few groups as we do, those sorts of conversations are very rare, and 5 weddings in 7 days? I wish:love:.

Like I said, I'll take a list if necessary, but I really don't like to do so. Not my shooting style, so it's not usually something I need to think about.

"So you can remember if the couple want a shot with their godparents or the brides grandmother, oh, or was it the grooms grandmother & was it the brides sister but not the grooms sister because he hates her & which step parents get on & which don't & was it Aunty Madge or aunty Flo who was important to the bride & she definitely wanted a photo" - the point is being missed entirely that I haven't the first bloody clue who these people are, so IF there is to be a list of "departures from normal" then it needs to be wielded by someone who knows these people.
It really is SO simple - during the pre-wedding natter we'll have discussed any "extra" shots, and they'll say that they want some pictures with his mates from work, her mates from work, Grandad Nelson, and her batty cousin from Australia - you point out that you can't identify them, so suggest they brief the best man as to who they need, then when the time comes you call upon the best man............

For a beginner, the pre wedding natter is really important for both him and the couple - just run through what's going to happen in chronological order, then you all know what's going to happen on the day, far more valuable than "notes".

Yes, you could have a very basic aide memoire in the bag, something like - "Brides Home 11pm, fags and curlers shots", be at church by 12pm, bride arriving in dustcart, vicar hates flash" (etc), but to start listing photos is a pathway to getting in a pickle (Uncle Larry has pottered off in the vague general direction of the bar/loo/bridesmaids and we need him for THIS group, omigodwadowidoo!) - it is a recipe for extra stress, hassle, and above all else, timewasting.....

"So you can remember if the couple want a shot with their godparents or the brides grandmother, oh, or was it the grooms grandmother & was it the brides sister but not the grooms sister because he hates her & which step parents get on & which don't & was it Aunty Madge or aunty Flo who was important to the bride & she definitely wanted a photo" - the point is being missed entirely that I haven't the first bloody clue who these people are, so IF there is to be a list of "departures from normal" then it needs to be wielded by someone who knows these people.
It really is SO simple - during the pre-wedding natter we'll have discussed any "extra" shots, and they'll say that they want some pictures with his mates from work, her mates from work, Grandad Nelson, and her batty cousin from Australia - you point out that you can't identify them, so suggest they brief the best man as to who they need, then when the time comes you call upon the best man............

For a beginner, the pre wedding natter is really important for both him and the couple - just run through what's going to happen in chronological order, then you all know what's going to happen on the day, far more valuable than "notes".

Yes, you could have a very basic aide memoire in the bag, something like - "Brides Home 11pm, fags and curlers shots", be at church by 12pm, bride arriving in dustcart, vicar hates flash" (etc), but to start listing photos is a pathway to getting in a pickle (Uncle Larry has pottered off in the vague general direction of the bar/loo/bridesmaids and we need him for THIS group, omigodwadowidoo!) - it is a recipe for extra stress, hassle, and above all else, timewasting.....

well I've shot enough weddings to know what works for me & a group list works for me. For me it saves time, it doesn't waste time.
So we'll have to agree to disagree :)

Last edited:
"So you can remember if the couple want a shot with their godparents or the brides grandmother, oh, or was it the grooms grandmother & was it the brides sister but not the grooms sister because he hates her & which step parents get on & which don't & was it Aunty Madge or aunty Flo who was important to the bride & she definitely wanted a photo"

If it's that important to them, they will let you know.

Every wedding I have been to has someone (usually the bride's mother) who has everything planned down to the nearest minute - "we're cutting the cake at 7:27 then the speeches will last from 7:31 to 8:05 then the band can start at 8:11"... Then everything runs an hour and a quarter late.

Steve.

Thanks for everyone's input! Much appreciated.

Lots and lots to think about before the events. It seems sensible to start with a group shot of everyone then lose people until down to the bride and groom. I've been to many weddings and from what I can remember this is what most photographers do. I think for my own organisation, I think some sort of list would help me - as it will be my first wedding to shoot I'll probably forget lots of things so something down on paper will help.

Back