Edit My Images
Yes
So after all my previous problems I finally got my Canon 40D which I am super happy with. So far I have had a little go playing around taking some photos just locally, namely my back garden and nearby. Lens is an 18-55mm kit.

I thought I would post the ones that I am somewhat happy with. See what criticisms people would come up with. I don’t know if here is where to post them (please feel free to move this thread or something if I am in the wrong place). Finally, I had some trouble uploading, in the end I used Flikr and copied the BB code across(after a quick Youtube tutorial), I don't know how other people do it and I would love advice there cause this was challenging/time consuming haha

The first is one I sort of accidentally took but turned out okay. Just an interesting landscape at least I thought so. Didn’t really see the golfer post swing until after I took it. I realised how much more I liked this photo when seeing it on a bigger screen; is that normal?

(Canon 40D, 34mm, f/4.5, 1/4000, ISO:400)

Second and third ones are my go at bird photography hahaha. I did my best, when I get closer than this they seem to fly off very fast.

(Canon 40D, 33mm, f/11, 1/250, ISO:400)

(Canon 40D, 55mm, f/7.1, 1/125 ISO:100)

This one I was happy with, another accident. Was trying to get the butterfly using the best light I could and when looking back through them I noticed some kind of wasp behind it. Made for a cool pic I thought. I wonder what it would have been like with a faster shutter speed, might have seen the wings then, ah well. Guess the light on the butterfly could have been better, but I like the blurred background and colours of the flower so I think its kind of what I wanted.

(Canon 40D, 55mm, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO:400)

Last one was more of a silly one but I like my dog so

(Canon 40D, 34mm, f/5.6, 1/15, ISO:400)

Let me know what you think. And infact if this is the right thing to be doing (sharing these pics here for criticism)? I really want to travel to a city sometime and try to capture some urban photos, I am struggling to limit myself to one genre :/ haha ah well.

Hi Peter,

Couple of things I noticed :-

In the first picture I would have cropped out the half a car on the right, most likely getting rid of the decking as well though keeping the tower in the background.

Third pic, looks like the focus is on the feeder and not the birds eye.

Shutter speed raised in the butterfly pic would help with the wings but unless you compensate, would still underexposed.

Nice pics all the same :)

Dougie.

That camera and lens are sound and can take you far - don't get hung up on upgrade paths and spend spend spend. Not for a long time yet anyway. Push at the limits of what you have, (but also and equally the photographic process in general) - by that you'll learn where they are (it's endless). It looks like you're having fun and I hope it stays that way.

I enjoyed the last one best - it's the one that works the most! It's devoid of clutter so the message is distinct. And silly is good!

The bird looks to be an immature starling - in the closer one there's an issue with focus. In the other - well you don't always have to fill the frame with something, it's ok to show context, but it's a weaker image somehow.

Is that Blackpool Tower beyond the golf course?

Keep experimenting. Take an interest in photography, by which I don't mean obsessing about stuff that can be bought, but more along the lines of if there's a photo exhibition that you can get to, go to it. Look at what people who are thought to be good have already done, without feeling swamped by it all. It's a huge field of possibilties. Technique is a long road, but don't forget the fun. Fun comes first!

There is no point me repeating snapper67 and droj have said as I agree with them.
The last one is the stand out one for me as well as it shows a more creative side to your photography, the dof is good and focussing on your dogs nose was a good idea.
So it's not silly at all :D
You will do well with the 40D, I use to own one and loved it.
Keep at it and I look forward to seeing more of your photos.

Reactions: Sto
The dog shot is cool, as others have touched upon there are some focusing issues which I'm not going to talk about. Yes it's great to shoot loads and hone your eye and then going forward deciding which lighting conditions and composition give you better outcomes and how to work around challenging lighting conditions or know how you need to adjust camera settings so you can pull more out of an image with a few tweaks after. Also recognise when you either need to shoot from another position to make best use of the light or when it's going to be a real mission to get a good picture. Shots 3&4 have a lot of contrast between highlights and shade making it hard to get everything to look pleasing. Shot 2 the light is presenting less high and low extremes.

Flies and wasps in flight, to freeze the wings you're going to need something like the fastest shutter speed at your disposal and if it's a bee it's still hard work. Some of the hovers you can get something vaguely useful 1/1000th minimum unless you simply want the body blur free providing it's not moving too fast. And that's simply the motion blur you still need to achieve focus on a very small subject. The below example was taken at 1/1000th using natural light, it's kind of ok but not breathtaking lol.

And most importantly enjoy your photography.

Hover Flight small.jpg

Not sure if your bbcode question was answered ,couldn’t see it but yes copy bb code is how it’s done

Congrats, the 40D is an excellent camera and when allied with a good lens can produce great shots.

One lens I would recommend is the Canon 50mm f1.8 - superbly sharp and if you ever want to get into Macro photography then it makes a great close up lens when used with a set of auto extension tubes.

Here are some examples of this combo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/albums/72157625975281497

The dog shot is cool, as others have touched upon there are some focusing issues which I'm not going to talk about. Yes it's great to shoot loads and hone your eye and then going forward deciding which lighting conditions and composition give you better outcomes and how to work around challenging lighting conditions or know how you need to adjust camera settings so you can pull more out of an image with a few tweaks after. Also recognise when you either need to shoot from another position to make best use of the light or when it's going to be a real mission to get a good picture. Shots 3&4 have a lot of contrast between highlights and shade making it hard to get everything to look pleasing. Shot 2 the light is presenting less high and low extremes.

Flies and wasps in flight, to freeze the wings you're going to need something like the fastest shutter speed at your disposal and if it's a bee it's still hard work. Some of the hovers you can get something vaguely useful 1/1000th minimum unless you simply want the body blur free providing it's not moving too fast. And that's simply the motion blur you still need to achieve focus on a very small subject. The below example was taken at 1/1000th using natural light, it's kind of ok but not breathtaking lol.

And most importantly enjoy your photography.

View attachment 130676

great shot that, what body/lens did you take that on out of interest please?

A few observations - the quality in the first few images doesnt look great for some reason??? compared with the dog picture which looks much better.

Buy yourself a nice prime lens and get creative with it, something like a 35mm f1.4 or a cheaper option could be a Yongnuo YN35mm EF 35mm F/2.0 for around £75.. even a 50mm f1.8 canon prime.

I've read quite a bit of doubt being cast about the yongnuo lenses (auto focus mainly). Have you tried them? I do like the price.

Back