First portrait attempts with my softboxes

Name
Sharmaigne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I had my new softboxes delivered yesterday, backdrop arrived this morning .. I already have 2 not-so-willing girls ..

So, my first portrait was of my eldest, yesterday evening at 6pm. The lights were quite close to her as I was working in a tight area .. I do feel that she looks slightly washed out - she was tired so that might account for some of the paleness ..

DSC_0858 by Anouk2011, on Flickr
Settings - Camera Mode A, ISO-100, f5.6, 1/40, 40mm

This morning, I tried again with the lights more spaced apart and I feel I've acheived a warmer result. My youngest wasn't keen on the idea and this was the only in focus shot I got, apologies for the dribble - this was an experiment purely based on lighting rather than composition :)

DSC_0875 by Anouk2011, on Flickr
Settings - Camera Mode M - ISO-200, f5.6, 1/50, 34mm

I only have a 2 softbox setup, I think I need another smaller light behind the children to light up the backdrop, but not entirely sure if this is necessary, happy for thoughts on that?

I've been taking portrait photos of children for some time now, but only used natural light, so as I'm used to the continuous lighting of a sunny window, I've opted for continous lit softboxes, just some arbitary ebay type but they weren't cheap, they're a 5 cluster bulb, double diffused type. Any advice would be welcomed!

:D
not sure about the lipstick and drools
but its all fun!!
cheers
geof

Hehe, my eldest loves her lipgloss and my youngest is teething. It wasn't so much about the composition of the pictures but more about the technicalities ie; the lighting, tones etc.

Thanks

They seem to lack some punch! Have a look at the levels in Photoshop and you'll see at the far end of the chart it's flat. A quick play with the level, brightness and contrast makes a big difference. There also seems to be a few colour issues, perhaps a slight colour cast? If you compre their white tops you can see that something is going wrong there.

Big potential, just a case of nailing it I reckon :)

Thanks Graham, I shall look at the levels for these and have a little play around.

The oldest was wearing a white top, youngests top was cream, but I do see what you mean.

Just want to get it absolutely right so all helps :)

Hi Sharmaigne,

Nice to see you are still 'togging!

How you manage in between the kids is beyond me!

Rob and Zoe

A pure white background would help, and I see what you mean about them lacking punch, having you played with the colours at all?

The first shot was taken in A mode? Aperture priority? All my studio work is shot in manual and also RAW so I have more leeway afterwards with exposure, white balance etc

The first one with some PP behind it could come up lovely ;)

The first shot was taken in A mode? Aperture priority? All my studio work is shot in manual and also RAW so I have more leeway afterwards with exposure, white balance etc

The first one with some PP behind it could come up lovely ;)

+1 on this.

Shooting in RAW has got to be one of the most important things.

You don't want to be back editing the pictures (lighting gear all at the studio, packed away or whatever) and then think, "this jpeg is too dark / too blown and I can't PP back into shape, wish I'd shot a stop darker / brighter!"

Back