First portrait attempts.

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

This is the first time I've posted any photos up here although since getting my first SLR (a D3100) a few weeks back I've been following a few of the threads for tips and advice.

These are of my daughter and niece. I am keen to improve my skills and wondered if anyone could offer any comments or advice.

Thanks in advance

furry hat by Michael & Ashley, on Flickr

lily by Michael & Ashley, on Flickr

Nothing to tell, they are lovely. Twist my arm up my back and i might say that the odd stray hair in shot 1 could be sorted ....... but then again ... thats what makes it honest.

Good work :)

Thanks - my photoshop skills aren't quite there yet for that kind of thing but again, thanks for taking the time to comment.

These are lovely. I especially love the combination of the black and white and the composition in the second one. Fantastic. (y)

Thanks very much.

Again, I'm on a really steep learning curve at the moment so any other comments or advice welcomed.

no2 is cracking in my view. love the angles and the eyes.

one minor picky point would be the leaf on the floor above her head.....my eye keeps getting drawn to it which is a shame. 30 seconds with the clone tool would get rid of it. though.

great work mate....keep em coming:clap:

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Agree with the leaf comment on 2 and I'll have a pop at cloning it out. These were both taken with a 35mm lens i bought along with a 55-300mm to compliment the kits lens.

The wife had been moaning that a lot of our pics were on phones etc so decided to take the plunge and get an SLR.

Think I have the bug now, out and about with my camera whenever I can and look forward to putting a few more up for opinion and feedback.

Thank again. (y) (y)

Two really nice images, especially considering you've just started. There's certainly isn't lot to find that you could improve. The few things I can quickly see:

#1 - could do with a little more sharpening, perhaps selectively on the hat (to bring out some texture) and around the eyes. I particularly like the negative space on the left in this crop.

#2 - Composition excellent. Maybe a little more contrast / steeper mid-tone curve / more clarity depending on how you're editing. It looks like it could do with a little more punch on my monitor.

Thanks for that Richersea.

Your thoughts, along with some of the other comments will give me a starter on the processing and something to get my teeth into.

Back