First Portrait...Dad being a twit

Edit My Images
Yes
Well just testing out my new light today see what it looks like from a different angle, if you can give me some tips on angles and how strong for the lighting, please let rip :)

Know its not a serious pic but it shows my dad how he is :)

Untitled-3copy-3.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a good candid shot!

Like the texture in the shot - perhaps a tad bright but looks nice and even lighting on the majority o his face and no reflection in his glasses (y)

Like it! Also one to maybehave a go at PS or Elements to heighten the skin tones/contrast?

Nice shot, well lit, nice DOF but the focus seems to be more on the chin rather than the eyes. I suppose it's only a few cm's off but it can be important in portraiture.

I keep making the same mistake myself.

Fun shot...

Not sure about the title though :(

Glad you changed the title... not very PC.

You did well to get the angles right to not get light reflection in the glasses.

The model needs to work on that seductive expression though, he's not quite doing it right ;)

Last edited:
Good job, shooting portraits with glasses can be tough and you pulled it off!
His right eye is a little soft but that it maybe down to a low f number?

Last edited:
Good job, shooting portraits with glasses can be tough and you pulled it off!
His right eye is a little soft but that it maybe down to a low f number?

Tbh I didn't concentrate much on my setting etc as I fleas more focused on the lighting, but I now know to make the eyes the main point

thanks for the tips

personally I thought the title was apt because thats what you thought.

PC brigade and censorship rule again.

As for the photo I like it as it reminds me of Eric Morecambe.

Nice shot, at first glance looks like you just grabbed the camera and fired off the shot which I like. Glasses can be a pain and you've dealt with them really well! Nice work! Would make a good canvas! (y)

Nice shot, at first glance looks like you just grabbed the camera and fired off the shot which I like. Glasses can be a pain and you've dealt with them really well! Nice work! Would make a good canvas! (y)

Well it pretty much was a dad I'm testing this out on you!

Ok son, al pull a face! Lol

captures his personality perfect that's why I like it :)

personally I thought the title was apt because thats what you thought.

PC brigade and censorship rule again.

As for the photo I like it as it reminds me of Eric Morecambe.

Tiler, any word that is used as a derogatory term for someone with any form of disabilty is considered offensive. It has nothing whatsover to do with political correctness or censorship, just respect and consideration for others.

Tiler, any word that is used as a derogatory term for someone with any form of disabilty is considered offensive. It has nothing whatsover to do with political correctness or censorship, just respect and consideration for others.

Why is is derogartory? Who is offended? Who has a disability?

If people are not mature enough to take what people say/write as 'their' opinion, then maybe they should keep quiet.

I don't want to argue because we will just go around in circles and one of will be suspended (mods right :D) .

As for censorship the mod who changed the title has already justified my remark.

Please do not think I do not understand 'feelings' but I consider myself able to control the urge to force my opinions on anyone else.

I don't want to derail the thread which is about critique however some education is needed....

I edited the title because 'Mong' is an offensive and dated term short for 'Mongol' the common term that used to be applied to those suffering Downes Syndrome many years ago and has often been used in a derogatory sense. I have a niece who has Downes Syndrome and I for one find it offensive

Robbo has apologised in here and in a PM to me

Perhaps Tiler you are unaware of the word and its usage in which case your ignorance is excusable

End of rant now lets get back to the image.

I wonder if Tiler joined the thread after the title was changed and is wondering why twit would upset anyone?

Back