First post, first set

Edit My Images
Yes
Greetings all, thought I'd share a bit about myself before posting my first set. Back in high school (almost 10 years ago now) I was nick named Mr. Paparazzi for my constant photo taking of friends and classmates when we want on trips or participated in school events. Video or still I was always behind the camera. Now through the years after high school I've been a broadcast engineer, editor (A/V), and videographer. I've enjoyed all these things but never really saw myself doing them for the rest of my life. Then, not to long ago (November 5th if I remember correctly), I came across this photo that made me realize for certain what I want to do. Though admittedly I've always had an inkling with every picture I took. That picture which some of you may have seen (won't post it as I'm sure it is copyrighted) was a picture of soon to be President Obama sharing a fist with this little blond kid, next to a black SUV. I really wish I had taken the photo and that's what clicked with me. That desire to have other photographers wish they had taken a picture I had made. To get to that level.

so I guess I'll get to posting some pics. feel free to critique. Really! I hope someone thinks they suck and will have some helpful constructive criticism
All I've got to take photos with currently is a Canon A620 which is a P&S camera but it has a good amount of manual options. I tend to stick to manually adjusting white balance, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and focus (unfortunately all controls are digital).

I took these in the pit of the Dallas Smashing Pumpkins show in 07.
4eb7fe0e.jpg

e472096d.jpg

1b0db952.jpg

768df8cd.jpg

a3adf4b2.jpg

1059b586.jpg

Last edited:
I cant believe no one has commented, more members and less comments these days. It might help if you post a maximum of 10 and number your images.

Considering these were does with a P&S I think you have done very well. I think the compositions are spot on and love the vibrant colours. I look forward to seeing more :)

Good shots, but I agree with lukewoodford perhaps a few less would help promote a better reaction. Less to choose from!

I would agree with lukewoodford and NickTB about posting fewer images. Five at a time is as much as you need. If you get a good reaction (and why shouldn't you with the strength of these gig images which are always tricky) then you can start another thread with some more images. You've done a good job on this set. I look forward to seeing more. Welcome.

I like #6 (y)

Can you number them please?

Nice shots, I've done a lot of live music photography and these are quite good.

Number 12 for me, (blue light) - very good. I would quite like to have a go at a gig sometime...

really I'm not used to these kinds of events photography(?) but after looking at your picture.. Indeed I like the colorful lights makes drama and add sense to your pictures. Very good effort for first time.

Waiting to see more...

PCP

when it rains it pours! thanks for the comments all. :D

Sp fewer pictures? That's interesting. I always find it tough to pick, especially when you don't know which one people will be drawn too.

Any tips on how you go about selecting?

Really great colours on these shots,really nice.:)

Has to be #6 for me aswel.

To me it's the most striking of all the shots. Don't know if anyone else agrees but could do with the guitarist a little further into the frame (left hand third). She's looking into the frame which is good and I like the way the red pin-spot light makes the guitar head look like its on fire. (y)

#10 has a certain appeal to it aswel but I think it might work better as a portrait crop rather than a landscape crop. :shrug:

thanks and I agree with #10 would work better as a portrait. Certainly too much unused space.

I wanted to start out not doing anything to these photos aside from proportionally resizing them for web use.

one question when it comes to cropping do you try to keep the proportions the same? what I mean is if the photo is a landscape like this one at 3:4 would you crop it so it became 4:3? or do unusual proportions really matter?

Back