First post of 50D shots

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I've spent the last three days since taking delivery of the 50D finding some settings that work for me. It's still an ongoing process.

Criticism is most welcome.

All taken with the 50D and the 100-400L at 400mm

The first three were all 1/500s F6.3 ISO320

Canon50D1216.jpg

Canon50D1227.jpg

Canon50D1293.jpg

These last two were both at 1/400s F8 ISO320

Canon50D1335.jpg

Canon50D1340.jpg

Thanks for looking.

All cracking pictures but i especially like the expression in the last one.

Congrats on the new body mate, first 3 bg look noisy but sharp dunnock and chaffinch look pretty good. (y)

Lovely set. If I was hyper critical I'd say I dont like the tip of the branch in the first one, as it looks like it's sticking out of the birds chest and ruins the shot for me.

But given that I only wish I could take shots this good I won't be and will stick to my first thought. Lovely set.

Great shots Ant! Happier with it than the 1D II??

Must admit, they do look a bit noisy for ISO 320! :eek:

Wow! That is a great response :) Thanks all

I did do noise reduction in some of the first three, but can't now remember which ones. It is odd that there's that much noise at ISO 320.

The BG in that area is particularly dark, I tried to lighten it a bit in Photoshop, I reckon I've got my post processing wrong. I'll give it another try and put the results on.

These were shot in jpeg but I've done what you suggested anyway Eeverson. I'll check it out for a few shots tomorrow and see if it works for jpeg as well.

Oh and Qwerty 69, looking at that I see what you mean. I agree but I did'nt even notice, my main concern had been the small piece of branch that covers part of the greenfinches leg. Initially I thought it had lost half its leg, untill I saw the rest of its foot standing on the branch below.

Wow! That is a great response :) Thanks all

I did do noise reduction in some of the first three, but can't now remember which ones. It is odd that there's that much noise at ISO 320.

The BG in that area is particularly dark, I tried to lighten it a bit in Photoshop, I reckon I've got my post processing wrong. I'll give it another try and put the results on.

These were shot in jpeg but I've done what you suggested anyway Eeverson. I'll check it out for a few shots tomorrow and see if it works for jpeg as well.

ant if you have lightened it too much your gonna get noise

There's something amiss here with camera settings or processing - you really shouldn't be seeing this sort of noise at that ISO with the 50D.

Edit..

Are they big crops?

Last edited:
Not bad for a first batch with new kit and just trialling settings... (y) ... one or two look a little soft around the eye and not as sharp as they could be imhgo... :shrug:

But a very nice selection to play with... :D

:p

Thanks Lea, I did lighten them, the BGs were extremely dark. I suppose if they're that dark there's little to lighten it to, it would just look noisy, if that makes sense :)

I agree CT, my first efforts were extremely noisy at lowish ISOs, that really suprised me. Not overly huge crops, it is settings or PP

Thanks Ven, your right about a couple of the eyes I was looking at feather detail mainly on these. A lot of the poses leave a bit to be desired, especially those that don't show the eye well.

The feather detail really isn't good in these Ant, they should be knocking your eye out! I suspect that NR has killed the detail in some of them though. :puke:

The feather detail really isn't good in these Ant, they should be knocking your eye out! I suspect that NR has killed the detail in some of them though. :puke:

No NR on the birds CT, I use the magic wand as you taught me :)

These are a vast improvement to my initial efforts, but I know they're no where near the capabilitys of the 50D

Hopefully it's just a case of finding the right settings.

LOL. It's early days for sure.

Disable ALO and Highlight Tone Priority for starters. I'd definitely shoot RAW if you can too.

Check the in-camera NR isn't on a high setting - some of those feathers do look a bit typical NR.

Last edited:
LOL. It's early days for sure.

Disable ALO and Highlight Tone Priority for starters. I'd definitely shoot RAW if you can too.

I'll disable those two, but shooting in raw is going to be a huge leap, and that may take a day or six.

Thanks again though:)

some nice shots ther ant, for me its gotta be the chaffinch. nice one m8 (y)

Agree :clap:
I am still playing about with mine at the mo anthony, lots of combinations to try :)

Back