First Printer, advices!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello
After one year i have started to use my camera i would like to start print some photos occasionally, so i am here open to suggestions. I already have a very easy and functional Epson i use to scan/copy/print documents. Now or i buy one new (to substitute that old Epson) that i would use for both scanning, office duties but also prints, or i buy a new one exclusively for prints, and keep the old Epson for office duties. Ideally i would prefer the first soluzion for a space issue.
Budget around 600 pounds. Should i buy a calibrator as wel i guess? And the typical thick print paper.

Thank you very much

Welcome to TP!

Buy some decent paper. My recommendation for a budget starting paper is Fotospeed's Platinum Lustre (lustre) or Marrutt's Archival Matt (matt) and if you're on a shoestring, get some Olmec Photo Metallic Lustre. Run that through your existing printer. If you get "the bug", then that's the time to splash out on something more fit for purpose. If you don't, because the quality is poor, it's proper decision time, but if you don't get the bug because you find it's not for you, you've saved a few quid.

As to a screen calibrator, I'd personally hold off on it. If your prints come out looking exactly like they do on screen - you don't need one. Calibration is really needed when you're sending photos to a lab to print. If you're doing it at home you can tinker (and even alter your screen to match the print). It's not essential. Decent paper though - is. Bad paper can give bad prints and put people off for life.

Good luck!

My choice of (relatively) cheap paper is Ilford Galerie. Try a selection of papers in your current printer and see if the results are good enough for your wants/needs.

Buy a Canon IP7250, see how you get on and how much you use it.
Purely an A4 photo printer for under 60 Euro, if it goes well you can think about investing more.

I have an ip 7250 and can recommend for A4 or smaller

Buy a Canon IP7250,
an ip 7250

Had an ip7250 for a few months now and can't fault it tbh.

I used to have a pixma pro 9000 which cost me a small fortune new several years ago but I was printing A3 and A3+ sized prints.

Now I have no need for larger than A4 and the ip7250 not only accomodates upto that size, the actual printer is considerably smaller, uses less inkjet cartridges, connects via wifi and offers a print quality that is on a par with the pro 9000......Imo, an absolute bargain at a fraction of the cost.

Epson Expression Photo XP-760

If still around. Or new model of it

Wifi
Tray for A4
Tray for 6 x 4
Rear single sheets
6 colour cartridges (copy £3)
Print on CD
Scanner
Scan, print, more from phone
Has its own email address. Send email with photo, get reply. Paper out, printed.
Usb card slot
Colour touch screen
Can fit continuously ink bottles

Prints very high quality photos

Was £179

Last edited:
Hello
After one year i have started to use my camera i would like to start print some photos occasionally, so i am here open to suggestions. I already have a very easy and functional Epson i use to scan/copy/print documents. Now or i buy one new (to substitute that old Epson) that i would use for both scanning, office duties but also prints, or i buy a new one exclusively for prints, and keep the old Epson for office duties. Ideally i would prefer the first soluzion for a space issue.
Budget around 600 pounds. Should i buy a calibrator as wel i guess? And the typical thick print paper.

Thank you very much
Welcome to TP!

Buy some decent paper. My recommendation for a budget starting paper is Fotospeed's Platinum Lustre (lustre) or Marrutt's Archival Matt (matt) and if you're on a shoestring, get some Olmec Photo Metallic Lustre. Run that through your existing printer. If you get "the bug", then that's the time to splash out on something more fit for purpose. If you don't, because the quality is poor, it's proper decision time, but if you don't get the bug because you find it's not for you, you've saved a few quid.

As to a screen calibrator, I'd personally hold off on it. If your prints come out looking exactly like they do on screen - you don't need one. Calibration is really needed when you're sending photos to a lab to print. If you're doing it at home you can tinker (and even alter your screen to match the print). It's not essential. Decent paper though - is. Bad paper can give bad prints and put people off for life.

Good luck!
just the question I was thinking of asking , and a really good answer I would never have thought of trying my current printer first

Back