First Promo Shoot

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive only recently started experimenting with off camera flash and to be honest I found this quite challanging today! So ANY pointers are appreciated! Dont feel the need to be gentle!

1)
3049946305_f55754e4c6_o.jpg

2)
3050784422_385e7203b6_o.jpg

3)
3049945961_1c2f7e82a0_o.jpg

4)
3049945825_e9ce66c2f4_o.jpg

Cheers in advance

Last edited:
Hi Matt

Not sure whether the following works but imho the origonal shots might need spicing up a bit

stew

3049945825_e9ce66c2f4_oaaa.jpg

Is he a musician or a graffiti wallah, I reckon that he looks to clean cut and tame to have a grungy urban graffiti type background...but I like 4 best out of all of them.

number 2 is my fav to be honest then number 4. i like ther graffiti but as some said he looks to clean cut

Hi Matt,

I like the idea but feel you need to spruce the pics up a bit. This can be done in photoshop a bit and Stew's (Artona) idea has grown on me the more I look at it.

However, I reckon for this type of shoot you may need a second flash to the right as well. It seems that the contrast is too dark and could be lifted with some effort.

Whilst only an amateur myself, that is my take on it.

Best regards

Chris

Thanks you chris,

I intentionally darkened the right hand side of the image, I would like to have had a second flash but at the moment it just isnt an option.

Ill have another look at my processing and see if I can create more impact

Could anyone comment on the lighting on a technical level?

Thanks again

pose is too ridgid he looks like no fun, not good for a DJ (unless he plays pop to girls from Birmingham in the west end). get him behind some decks at least. his look says "the guy who plays your wedding" but the backdrop says "grime club", and his cloths say "bad trance or house" you need to match every aspect of the shot to his style of music. lighting wise a seccond fill light, or reflector, would have been good, or you could have shot closer to sunset (this feels like midday) for better light quality.

these shots may be the first thing a potential client sees, it needs to say "I am a DJ, this is my style, and I'm good at it"

I generally let bands be there own art directors, but if they just are not giving me much to work with I start making them do outlandish things so I can get a few shots that show them and their music.

you said bee harsh, so i was. there are some good aspects to this shot, but i think it needed more effort on you and his parts.

Excellent!!

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

I could speil off some excuses but essentially your right - I wasnt relaxed enough, neither was he and it doesnt show anyone looking what he does! The fact people have had to ask what he does kinda shows that!

Thanks again - I am paying attention!

hey there, dont bother with another flash kit, way too expensive and heavy to cart round, a simple decent reflector would do it, be ridiculously cheap and just as effective

i would make sure the main lighting was with the writing on the wall though, on one of the shots there seemed to be good lighting on the right side of the guys face, and the writing on the wall was in shadow

also stop him from leaning on the wall so much, shadows are good for mood

Back