First Proper Car Attempt

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone. Have been a lurker here for a while and just decided to post up a shot that I am pretty proud of.

I'm still very much just learning, and only have a D60 with kit lens (I'm still yet to get a flash...)

I used the light painting technique to get this and would love people's views on it.

Thanks everyone!

I think the shot is very good. Sorry I can't really do a technical crit on it, but I'd be very proud of it if it was mine.

that is lovely, it's unfortunate that you can see some of the inside of the car as well due to the lighting. How did you go about it?

Lovely work. Well done you for getting stuck into it!

I don't think it matters all that much that you can see some headlinging, though it is slightly reminiscent of an open window - which the pros say is a no-no on car shooting.

Last edited:
Ah the trusty old mini, many a fond memory......Nice picture thanks for posting.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I don't think it matters all that much that you can see some headlinging, though it is slightly reminiscent of an open window - which the pros say is a no-no on car shooting.

The only reason you can see the headlining is because I took one exposure with the interior light on to try on the off chance.

When I was flattening everything down in PS I thought it felt pretty flat without the inside shot. so figured I would re-add it back in.

I plan on trying again (as the flickr description says) once I get some better kit and a better location with less light.

My eyes are drawn to the negative parts, good to see no-one's picked them out yet! :p
(The un-even lighting on the underside of the windows on the body, and the front section of the guttering isn't lit as well as the rest.)

Had a nightmare getting a good shot of the wheel's also because the polished lip kept causing glare or bleached out parts when I tried to light them with the maglight... :|

Glad everyone likes it! Im really chuffed with it! any other crit is welcome! :D

Looks great, well done. If you are going for perfection, then how about aligning the wheels (Compomotives by any chance) so the spokes are in the same orientation?

Thanks!

James - Close! They are 'Revolutions'. They were almost aligned actually when I took the shot. but the fact the bottom of the rear one blew out into the camera and caused glare meant I had to digitally rotate it so I could get away with fading it out under the shadow.
That was more by luck than anything else though. I will add it to the list of things for 'next time' Thanks!

Back