First proper go at landscape and HDR

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Right guys and gals. Posted this elswhere on here and this is the edit based on some crit I received on the original post.

I would appreciate some brutal critique so I can try and improve my technique pre and post processing. We are off to the north lakes in may and I really want to get some pics from the trip that I can print out big.

20100328_0017HDRcrop.jpg

Is it that bad?!

The horizion is sloping, but if you try and straighten it, the figure might be squint as well.

I like the HDR not to overdone, and I love the face in the clouds :D

I was torn with the horizon, It was either a sloping horizon or a wonky iron statue!

It was processed from RAW to 6 exposures then used a HDR plugin that I downloaded free when I installed Photoshop ages ago.

All crit very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Andrew, do you mind me asking what the HDR plugin is called as I wouldnt mind trying it.

Thanks

Its called Redynamix HDR by DCE tools. Mine is a CS2 version. Think it will process from a batch or single files if i remember correctly.

I tried Photomatix but had no joy at all. Got some weird results!

I find the reflections in the sand distracting. A polarizer would alleviate this quite a lot. I like the sky but there isn't enough colour in it. Shooting nearer to the ground would have made the subject a lot stronger also.

I find the reflections in the sand distracting. A polarizer would alleviate this quite a lot. I like the sky but there isn't enough colour in it. Shooting nearer to the ground would have made the subject a lot stronger also.

Sounds like a polariser would help with the sand Reflections and sky colour slightly. Think I may invest in one as am hopefully getting a 24-70 soon which is 77mm like my 10-20 so can justify getting a really good one a bit easier!

Thanks again for the crit, is making me think a bit more about composition in future... I guess an extra 5 mins setting up will save more than that in PP and end up with a better overall pic.

doesnt do much for me im afraid...also there seems to be a face in the sky?

LOL - I know. Me too. Seems like a weird kind of grinning creature. Otherwise, I think the principle is good (nonsentient, inorganic creature overlooking life and wonders about what it might be like to be 'alive', the beach and water symbolizing emotions and the subconscious, etc) Man...I'm reading way too much into this. ;)

Woah, just reviewed this on the iMac screen and I can see a completely different picture!

Nethawk, you are definitely reading too much into it! Waaay deep man! lol

Back to the drawing board on the new screen methinks!

apart from the wonky horizon i really like it all...the face and the reflections included

Back