First proper go at star trails :D

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Heres my first proper (that has worked!) attempt at star trails.

Tried to paint in some foreground detail with my headlamp but its screwed the WB lol.

36x 135s 10mm f4 ISO640

c&c or advice very welcome :D

Startrail.jpg

Oops i think i may have stopped it just to check the shot but didnt think it would have left that big a gap lol..

Only tried filling in the Foreground int he last frame so ill give it another go but not use the last frame to see how it turns out :D

Cheers

Nice image, I quite like the gaps, makes it a little different hehe :)

Gaps are fine with me too. Reminds me of a data disc or something. I don't think the foreground lighting was a disaster either and certainly worth trying out.

Brian

Like it lots!! Particularly the foreground.

Even on continuous shooting on my 400D (30sec exposures) I get a slightly dashed appearance to the trails at 100% zoom, not really a problem at print size though I've found. If you want consistent trails it's very important not to miss any or have any clouds floating around.

Like it lots!! Particularly the foreground.

Even on continuous shooting on my 400D (30sec exposures) I get a slightly dashed appearance to the trails at 100% zoom, not really a problem at print size though I've found. If you want consistent trails it's very important not to miss any or have any clouds floating around.

someone correct me if i am wrong about this, but i have learned what is called the rule of 600. take 600 and divide by your focal length (including crop factor) and that will tell you how many seconds it will take in shutterspeed to see a trail. as you had mentioned, its only visible when you zoom in but, its definately there.
:wave:

A nice result that one.. it looks like you might have had a bit of cloud about...

I'd not heard that rule before, but it seems to be about right with the various static tripod shots I've taken.

I think it's a very good attempt frankly I see little wrong except maybe the horizon. For the light painting in the front you may have more controle with a large torch you know the ones 50000000000 candle power :) you might have to wave it about for a longer time than your headlamps though Keep it moving all the time to soften the shadows and it still retains the vibrante colors of direct light, as to color balance in this case balance the color to the torch, or do nothing and correct it in post prod.

Cheers very much for the replys and advice :D

Shot was taken at the end of a small pier, set camera up whilst out fishing and let it do its thing lol. I had Soduim street lights off the left partially lighting the rocks so theres some strange issues caused by mixing yellow sodium lamps with a blue/white LED Head lamp lol.

Ill try removing the last frame and see how it looks.

Composition was a bit a fluke TBH, i was aiming to get the foreground interest in and some trails, I knew i was in the general direction for the pole star but honestly couldnt see any stars through the viewfinder so was pleasntly suprised to see i was close lol.
Will give it another try next clear night and try to get the pole star it in the frame.

Thanks for the advice :)

Neil

star trails look cool

Back