first proper studio shots

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of my niece and nephew and one with my cheeky daughter. C&C please.

Thanks Mark(y)

:D well i willl comment on them mate..

they look like nice fun shots mate. i am not keen on the two catchlights myself but thats me...

have you done much pp to these...:shrug:

md(y)

Thanks Dave(y)

I should have taken the catchlights out, I have in the others I've done, truth is they were processed on the fly and I forgot:bonk:.

The pp was levels & curves, usm and a bit of diffuse glow. Sound familiar?;)

Mark(y)

When using butterfly lighting as here, I really can't see the point in the second light - and as MD says, 2 catchlights just looks odd, much better to learn to use just one first m8 (y)

That said, nice captures and very natural looking - to get them looking in the right direction though, get used to moving out from behind the camera so they can see your eyes - works a treat on young'uns

DD

When using butterfly lighting as here, I really can't see the point in the second light - and as MD says, 2 catchlights just looks odd, much better to learn to use just one first m8 (y)

That said, nice captures and very natural looking - to get them looking in the right direction though, get used to moving out from behind the camera so they can see your eyes - works a treat on young'uns

DD

Thanks Dave, kind of you to comment and useful advice on getting them to look at the camera, definately one to remember. (y)

One question, butterfly lighting:shrug:. I'm still learning the lingo:)

Mark(y)

Here's a short but useful definition...

You should be trying them all now to see how & when to use each

DD

There are four main styles of lighting

Broad lighting is when the main light is positioned in such a way that it illuminates the side of the face that is turned toward the camera. This technique is used mainly for corrective purposes. It will de-emphasize facial features and is used mostly to make thin, narrow faces appear wider.

Short Lighting
is when the main light illuminates the side of the face that is turned away from the camera. This technique is used when the subject has an average oval face. Short lighting emphasizes facial contours more than broad lighting. This style can be adapted for a “strong” or “weak” look by using a weaker fill light. This narrow lighting (as it is sometimes called) is especially good for use in low-key portraiture. Because short lighting has a narrowing effect, it is great for use with subjects that have particularly round or plump faces.

Butterfly Lighting
is achieved by positioning the main light directly in front of the subjects face and adjusting the height to create a shadow directly under, and in line with, the nose. This style is best suited for subjects with a normal oval face and is considered to be a glamour style of lighting best suited for women. It is not recommended for use with men because it has a tendency to highlight the ears – crating an undesirable effect.

Rembrandt Lighting. Rembrandt lighting is obtained by combining short lighting and butterfly lighting. The main light is positioned high and on the side of the face that is away from the camera. This technique produces an illuminated triangle on the cheek closest to the camera. The triangle will illuminate just under the eye and not below the nose.

Here's a short but useful definition...

You should be trying them all now to see how & when to use each

DD

There are four main styles of lighting

Broad lighting is when the main light is positioned in such a way that it illuminates the side of the face that is turned toward the camera. This technique is used mainly for corrective purposes. It will de-emphasize facial features and is used mostly to make thin, narrow faces appear wider.

Short Lighting
is when the main light illuminates the side of the face that is turned away from the camera. This technique is used when the subject has an average oval face. Short lighting emphasizes facial contours more than broad lighting. This style can be adapted for a “strong” or “weak” look by using a weaker fill light. This narrow lighting (as it is sometimes called) is especially good for use in low-key portraiture. Because short lighting has a narrowing effect, it is great for use with subjects that have particularly round or plump faces.

Butterfly Lighting
is achieved by positioning the main light directly in front of the subjects face and adjusting the height to create a shadow directly under, and in line with, the nose. This style is best suited for subjects with a normal oval face and is considered to be a glamour style of lighting best suited for women. It is not recommended for use with men because it has a tendency to highlight the ears – crating an undesirable effect.

Rembrandt Lighting. Rembrandt lighting is obtained by combining short lighting and butterfly lighting. The main light is positioned high and on the side of the face that is away from the camera. This technique produces an illuminated triangle on the cheek closest to the camera. The triangle will illuminate just under the eye and not below the nose.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Dave, very much appreciated. I will be doing a lot of experimenting and fully expect to learn from my mistakes. But having a knoweldge of what I'm doing will certainly help. (y)

Cool learning tip - go get your wife's magazines, look at images everywhere, and try to break them down into which of these 4 they fit best; decide which YOU like best, and COPY images you see

Once you can do a decent copy of someone else's work, you can find your own way

DD

PS - just to confuse though, lots of fashion work is still done with a ring-flash, look for a complete circle in the eye ;)

Cool learning tip - go get your wife's magazines, look at images everywhere, and try to break them down into which of these 4 they fit best; decide which YOU like best, and COPY images you see

Once you can do a decent copy of someone else's work, you can find your own way

DD

PS - just to confuse though, lots of fashion work is still done with a ring-flash, look for a complete circle in the eye ;)

Already started that, it's habit forming isn't it... I like that I wonder where the lighting was and how it was set up, must understand, must understand:nuts:.

Had a play, is this one better or not?

Tommy-and-Izzy-working.jpg

Thanks

Mark(y)

I prefer the last one, but they all look good to me :)

Thank you(y) What is about the last one you prefer?

Aside from removing the 2nd catchlight - you appear to have increased contrast and/or lightened it

The original with only 1 catchlight would have been better as you've now blown some of the girl's hair

DD

Dave, I tweaked the levels to try and blow the b/g out a bit more, see what you mean about the hair though. It's all about trial and error this pp work for me at the moment, so thanks for the comments(y)

Back