First Reasonably Priced M4/3 Lenses

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought myself a E-PL5 earlier in the week (which is waiting for me to pick up at the local PO) to trial the M3/4 format. I see this to start with as a family day out/holiday sort of camera but will be trailing it when I go out doing landscapes etc with a view to going mirrorless full time. What I want to do is try to pick up a couple of reasonably priced lenses that can show off what the system can do without just relying on the kit lens, but with so many lenses to chose from it's hard to know what to go for. I shoot fairly wide a lot with my landscapes so maybe something at the wider end and maybe a mid range tele.

Thanks for any advise

Gary.

What kind of range do you tend to shoot at? The panny 14mm is a good wide lens and small, should be able to pick one up cheaply. Aso the oly 17mm 1.8 and 25mm 1.8 are very good lenses.

The sigma art 19,30 and 60 all f2.8 are highly regarded for sharpness.
They can be had for £125 each brand new.

There's a 12-50 in the classifieds for a crazy price of £75! It's a good macro and video lens as well as being 12mm on the wide end (24mm ff equivalent)

Nothing at all wrong with the Panasonic 14-45mm - the original kit lens!

As mentioned above I think the Sigma lenses represent excellent value.

I have the original Panasonic 14-42mm, 45-200mm, 14mm 2.5 and 20mm f1.7 and Olympus 25mm and 45mm f1.8. All except the Panny 20mm were bought used for very reasonable prices.

The Panasonic 14mm is a very nice lens and about £100 second hand, the Oly 45mm is simply stunning and if you're lucky you can pick them up for £120.

Cheers guys. I think the 45mm is a must from what I'm reading. Just need to decide on a wider length. I'll probably get a 9-18mm if I decide to keep it so maybe so maybe a 20 or 25mm.

I love my 9-18mm. Not cheap but small and almost wide enough. Yet has 18mm for street, night and a walkabout lens.

Cheers guys. I think the 45mm is a must from what I'm reading. Just need to decide on a wider length. I'll probably get a 9-18mm if I decide to keep it so maybe so maybe a 20 or 25mm.

Just a quick word on these. I have both the Panny 20mm and Oly 25mm and IMVHO the difference in focal length isn't all that significant but the lenses each have their own strengths, the 20mm is compact but focuses rather leisurely (but this may not be an issue depending upon what you want to shoot) whilst the 25mm f1.8 is bigger and focuses faster.

Panasonic 20mm f1.7 is good = 40mm ... I used mine a lot on the Oly EP body which has IS in camera - really useful combo in low light ........ but the 20mm is good period

Back