First roll from Diana mini

It's always a little hard for me to Critique Holga/Lomo/Lo-Fi shots, as most of the technical stuff by necessity ends up out of the window, and it comes down to what's intended from the shot.

That said, I hate to see a posting in here go for a full day without comment, so here goes...

1) Interesting picture of a toy camera by a toy camera. (sorry - what did you expect from a Canonite! :LOL:)

2) I like the shot of the dog, just not sure it should be combined with the shot of someone pouring a bucket of water down the drain :shrug:

3) Yes, they're definitely clouds.

4) A more traditional approach, but no more successful for it, The edge of the lake provides a line that leads your eye straight away from the main feature (the Geese/Swans). The people in frame bring nothing to the party, and sadly the lifebelt station being a hot red dot also draws the eye from what should have been the focus.

5) I quite like the sense of anticipation you get with double exposures, the "what will I get" kind of vibe. If this was an intentional double exposure, then I'm afraid it hasn't quite worked. The composition is fine, but the pale bark of the tree just punches through a little bit too much. I'm not sure about the Diana mini's level of exposure control - I'm guessing it's either sunny or cloudy. If you're shooting an intentional double exposure on a camera like this, It can be handy to "hold back" the "texture" shot by holding a 1 or 2 stop ND filter over the lens - I even modified my Holgas to provide a proper screw mount for filters...

With the "Texture" shot held back, you've a better chance of the main picture punching through. All of this is of course moot, if the double exposure was just a "happy accident" :LOL:

Thanks for the comments on them. The last one was an accident because i forgot to wind the film round!

Just getting to grips with it, will hopefully get some better shots next time!

Always difficult with a camera like this, especially without exposure control and the view finder only having the loosest of relations to the actual image captured on film! I have a few 'lo-fi' camera and of them all I struggle with the Diana the most. Keep snapping, the more you use it the more familiar you will become with it's 'quirks' :)

Back