First Roll of Velvia 100f

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
And boy is it hard to scan, not sure if it was just because I had the originals in full glory or if its just the tonal range. These look nothing like as good as the slides any advice for improving the colours

One of the copper clad towers of The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh.

Ikonta068 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

A view from Blackford hill of some of the nice parts of Edinburgh up to the castle.

Ikonta072 by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Nice..

that second one has an odd TS flavour..

100f is a tough scan, slides in general are because the are so richly dense.
I don't have any tips for scanning them other than recovering as much as you can from the biggest file your scanner can produce optically, in PP.
And no, it ain't never gonna cut it but that's all there is.

Slides are designed to be projected, massive, on a screen, that's why they are soooo sharp, soooo dense and soooo beautiful..:)

oh colours ?

I take my lead from the slide itself, use the eye dropper tool to find an 18% grey somewhere on the slide, that should get it close, then its channel mix I'm afraid.
The top one looks to have a lot of magenta in it and the bottom is a bit cool generally, depends on light levels, the darker the scene the cooler 100f renders.

Last edited:
Cheers John, not sure how I managed the ts look, must just have been the relative height of hill I was on and the rolling hill the houses were on converging but I like it.

I've had another go at the colours and they can either but ok on the screen or almost as vibrant as the slide but with a cast in some colours. A real shame, I'll keep working on them though . Might just have to buy a loupe and keep them to myself.

It's odd, the colours do look a bit fragile! I shot a roll of Velvia 100 (no f) in Edinburgh in the summer, and got them processed and scanned at the Fujifilm shop near St Patrick's Sq. The colours came out super-saturated. I'm not sure if it was their scanner, the weather, the different film, or what. The sky in your first one is definitely wrong!

What's the scanner (and software)?

I've fiddled with them no end I think i'm going to resort to re scanning them. They look lovely in person.

I scanned them with my v500, I actually had them done in the lab you mentioned, cracking service despite me being a little early.

Last edited:
Back