First roll through my Pentax SP500

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
I saw a SP500 and 55mm Takumar in the window of LCE last month and couldn't resist. It needed some new light seals, and took a bit of messing to get a suitable battery for the meter. However, as it's a bridged circuit, there was no problem with the voltage requirements endemic with old cameras that needed mercury cells.

I got my first roll back from it and scanned it over the weekend. I like it, a lot. The lens is fantastic - it has real character. Why can't modern kit lenses be like this? Film is Fuji Superia 200

20110530145722_scan-110514-0004.jpg

20110530145727_scan-110514-0011.jpg

20110530145735_scan-110514-0023.jpg

That was the first SLR I used, borrowed from a friend when I was thirteen. I didn't load my first film properly and it didn't wind on, so was bitterly disappointed when I developed the roll and it was blank. My first lesson in checking the rewind knob rotates when loading a film.

Enjoy...

Thanks! My main problem at the moment is remembering whether I advanced the film or not! I know there's the little tell to say the shutter is cocked, but when I just lift the camera to my eye I don't always check that!

Thanks! My main problem at the moment is remembering whether I advanced the film or not! I know there's the little tell to say the shutter is cocked, but when I just lift the camera to my eye I don't always check that!
I suffer with that too, bit embarrassing if you're taking pics of people, get them to pose, hit shutter and....nothing :bonk:

Love the third pic with the rainclouds, great capture. Very nice quality on the first few too. What do you scan them with?

They were scanned with a Nikon Coolscan IV. I'm still learning how to get the best out of the scanner, but I'm very happy with it so far, especially at the price - it's on long term loan from my uncle!

Cuchulainn said:
They were scanned with a Nikon Coolscan IV. I'm still learning how to get the best out of the scanner, but I'm very happy with it so far, especially at the price - it's on long term loan from my uncle!

I wish I had an uncle like that who would lend me such a great scanner!

It was definitely a nice surprise! He had bought it a few years ago to scan my granddad's old slides, so it's currently with me with the proviso that I do the slide scanning. I've absolutely no problem with that - it's a pleasure to see old family pics from the 50's and 60's and it was a very generous thing for him to do.

Lovely set, 3rd is excellent and I like the light in the other 2 as well.

Andy

Back