First running event - Amersham 5 - comments please!

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
As the title says, I took my camera along to the Amersham 5 mile cross-country event yesterday morning. Annoyingly the only possible shots were into the sun which has wrought havoc on my levels and contrast (sob, moan, mutter etc). But I mainly had a go at capturing the start and as many finishers as I could get before my memory card filled up.

Comments, criticisms, suggestions for what could be improved would be very much appreciated.

All shots: Nikon D40X; Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6; ISO 400; Program mode :bonk:; RAW :thinking:

The start - not a classic, it took me by surprise :bang:
2877640689_110c8f7040.jpg

The (very) early running
2878469602_293af23121.jpg

At the finish
2877637571_5e8191f09c.jpg

The winning woman
2878470428_f0938ed2cf.jpg

Full set (28 images) here

Last edited:
I love the expression of the chap at the finishing line :D Well caught.

It's not as easy as some people think is it? A good effort for a first go though but try to think about backgrounds and trying to find a nice clean one, and maybe leave just a little more breathing space above the head and below the feet - if you wanted to crop for a 10 x 8 you could struggle with the last two.

It's not as easy as some people think is it? A good effort for a first go though but try to think about backgrounds and trying to find a nice clean one, and maybe leave just a little more breathing space above the head and below the feet - if you wanted to crop for a 10 x 8 you could struggle with the last two.

Thanks for your comments.

Looking back I think I made a mistake in going to be near the finish - I guess I was hoping for a classic sprint for the line or somesuch. There was better potential - with regards to the 'clean' background - as they came across a field a few hundred metres out.

Next time I'll do more scoping before settling on a spot.

Back