First Scans From My Grandparents Slide Collection

Name
Mark Gameson
Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but thought I would start a thread to share some of my grandparents slides which I am going through and scanning

All I vanve done is to do the grain removal,unsharp mask, colour restoration and digital ice when scanning

img023 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

img019 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

img028 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

img035 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

img038 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

If you have Photoshop, I'd recommend use of the Shadow/Highlight adjustment. You'll need to do a little work on the contrast and brightness afterwards, but there's more detail than shows up in the shadows (I just downloaded no 5 and tried, since based on my experience of scanning slides (Kodachrome) I thought that I recognised certain symptoms...).

wonderful to have these.....:)

#3 is a gaff rigged - although small its lovely. Canoe stern.?

any idea where.?

If you have Photoshop, I'd recommend use of the Shadow/Highlight adjustment. You'll need to do a little work on the contrast and brightness afterwards, but there's more detail than shows up in the shadows (I just downloaded no 5 and tried, since based on my experience of scanning slides (Kodachrome) I thought that I recognised certain symptoms...).

Thank you thats a job for later today before I scan anymore.

Very good but it would be nice if showing some shots that are dated (in a time warp) as these shots could have been taken last week.

wonderful to have these.....:)

#3 is a gaff rigged - although small its lovely. Canoe stern.?

any idea where.?

Yes they are lovely to have No 1 is my Granddad, No 4 I believe are my mom and dad (still got to show them theses to find out) and No 5 I think is my great nan!

No 3 I think (almost certianly would have been taken on the Severn near Ombersley as someone (I think it was my great Aunt and Uncle) had a bungalow down there

Very good but it would be nice if showing some shots that are dated (in a time warp) as these shots could have been taken last week.

Unfortunately there aren't any dates on these slides as they are in blue and white plastic holders :( but I would guess mid 70's as I was born in 1979 I will have ask mom and dad when I show them

Unfortunately there aren't any dates on these slides as they are in blue and white plastic holders :( but I would guess mid 70's as I was born in 1979 I will have ask mom and dad when I show them

Well for me as I lived through the 70s, was thinking of shots with your grandparents by a 70s car or wearing flairs or places that have changed and so on...but of course they are valuable to you as your grandparents look different now to the 70s.

Well for me as I lived through the 70s, was thinking of shots with your grandparents by a 70s car or wearing flairs or places that have changed and so on...but of course they are valuable to you as your grandparents look different now to the 70s.

I do have pictures of them by their cars etc this was the first box I picked. Sadly neither of them are with us now I waish they were as I'm sure they would have been able to tell me more about the images

I do have pictures of them by their cars etc this was the first box I picked. Sadly neither of them are with us now I waish they were as I'm sure they would have been able to tell me more about the images

I'm sorry to hear that but there are quite a few oldies here and probably could fill in some info on those shots. (y)

Yes they are lovely to have No 1 is my Granddad, No 4 I believe are my mom and dad (still got to show them theses to find out) and No 5 I think is my great nan!

No 3 I think (almost certianly would have been taken on the Severn near Ombersley as someone (I think it was my great Aunt and Uncle) had a bungalow down there

Ah I was going to guess on the broads as I sailed similar boats there in the 70's

Ah I was going to guess on the broads as I sailed similar boats there in the 70's

my initial thoughts too

but then theres the big lock picture - not sure but dont think you have any large level changes in that area

prob totally wrong tho.....:)

I do have pictures of them by their cars etc.....

Mark - just FYI....my first Company car was a 1960 Morris Minor, followed by a Hillman Husky - boy did i feel 'posh'....:)

first car i bought [used] in early 60's was a Mini - complete with sliding windows and pull-cord door handles ..... brilliant
added all the 'boy-racer' goodies like twin exhaust [box] and lowered the steering column rake
fake walnut full width dashboard and every gauge that Redex et al sold........................ happy days

my initial thoughts too

but then theres the big lock picture - not sure but dont think you have any large level changes in that area

prob totally wrong tho.....:)

There are in fact 3 locks between Stourport and Worcester I think the lock in the pictures may be Halt Fleet but not 100% sure

Still scanning slides now finding dates on some of them so filling them under the dates on the back of the slides will upload some more over the weekend.

Still scanning slides now finding dates on some of them so filling them under the dates on the back of the slides will upload some more over the weekend.

Yes, it's vital to find a way to record all the information associated with any original material at the time of scanning: what's on the box, what's on the slide, dates, slide numbers, even the colours of the slide numbers (I found these useful when scanning boxes of slide film taken in New Zealand that had all got mixed up, and I wanted to put them in sequence... we had eg, er, kg, kr for Ektachrome grey numbers, Ektachrome red numbers, Kodachrome etc). It's MUCH harder to reconnect that information if you leave it until later. I used the scan directory and file names to store it, but there may well be a better way.

Excellent! I lately did over 500 slides for my neighbours and friends! Slides were from early 60s and most of them were in bad shape. they turned out to be really nice. I used opticfilm 8200ai

Will ask and might share some results.

Hello everyone I'm still here!!!

I've finally got round to tidying up a few of the images now (I had to do some for our clubs 110th anniversary evening)

First up is my Great Nan holding Me!! and our Dog Barney this was taken down at my Aunt and Uncles bungalow at Ombersley

img764 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Next up a view of Tenby Harbour taken in 1962 and it hasn't really changed in the years since

img444 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

No idea where this was taken but I would guess maybe the Welsh coast

img381 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

This image shows the construction of Manor Way in Halesowen West Midlands

img202 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Car being towed on a 'trailer' by a boat on the River Severn

img138 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Another one I'm not sure where this was taken

img075 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

This is an image of my nan

img061 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

And finally for now I think this may be Suandersfoot Harbour

THE HARBOUR by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Hello everyone I'm still here!!!

I've finally got round to tidying up a few of the images now (I had to do some for our clubs 110th anniversary evening)

First up is my Great Nan holding Me!! and our Dog Barney this was taken down at my Aunt and Uncles bungalow at Ombersley

img764 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Next up a view of Tenby Harbour taken in 1962 and it hasn't really changed in the years since

img444 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

No idea where this was taken but I would guess maybe the Welsh coast

img381 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

This image shows the construction of Manor Way in Halesowen West Midlands

img202 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Car being towed on a 'trailer' by a boat on the River Severn

img138 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Another one I'm not sure where this was taken

img075 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

This is an image of my nan

img061 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

And finally for now I think this may be Suandersfoot Harbour

THE HARBOUR by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

You must be very pleased with them Mark, especially to the ones with your relations.

The random street looks a bit like York, only place I can think off. Try street view around The Shambles and see if it matches, that also shouldn't have changed much in 200 years.

Those are brilliant Mark, I love the boat behind the canal barge. There is an Old Quay House Hotel in Fowey, Cornwall, I can' definitely say its the one but it definitely looks similar to Fowey.

Last edited:
I don't disbelieve you. I also don't believe that's the first time you've been there... :D

Actually the first time I went there I was arrested by the Customs Man. :D

Thanks for your comments guys.

I love them especially the family ones but also the Tenby one as I love Tenby

Thanks to @Andysnap and @FishyFish for identifying the street!

I've got loads to go through and tidy up I don't think some of them will be usable but will post up some of the better or more interesting ones as I go.

I currently have a box full of Albums from my Great Uncle including photos taken in India in 1946/47 when he was there during the war

29628271064_db1fba92f0_c.jpg
img4

That's wonderful. You're right, it hasn't changed - they've added a new lifeboat station, and the one in this photo is now a house (as all fans of Grand Designs know) but otherwise, that photo could be today (as long as you don't zoom in on the cars)

My mum had a car like the one being towed, I'm sure - it looks like a Citroen Dyane :)

Funnily enough there's a white one just appeared at the end of the road from work. I think your right about the model or a 2CV (I went in a 2CV once never been so scared in my life!!)

Funnily enough there's a white one just appeared at the end of the road from work. I think your right about the model or a 2CV (I went in a 2CV once never been so scared in my life!!)

They make such a fantastic eggbeater noise! It's a shame they're getting rarer and pricier, I'd love one.

I'm back!! Did you miss me?:LOL:

Well life has been busy with work and and trying to get my classic Mini back on the road but I have been going through the scans as and when I can and I have now got them uploaded to Flickr here's the link for anyone that would like to see them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markgameson/collections/72157681666388171/

Some of them still need work but its a start!

Mark

I took a lot at some of the Albums on Flickr

Well done on a great Labour of Love

Really enjoying them,,

Back