first serious shots with the 430ex

Edit My Images
No
i work in an hotel, and last night we had an organized pub party, 70s 80s 90s disco shizzle, and boss asked me to take some photos, good opportunity to test my 430ex, had some problems at the beginning, but i managed well i guess, still need to practice alot tho...

heres a few of my fav, c&c highly appreciated!

Security, fill flash bounced off roof

img3259dw5.jpg

the dancefloor, usually you dont flash overvieuw pictures, but the pub has such crap lights, that you wont get a decent shot without it, but, i just pointed towards the ceiling, and fill flash it, so the mood wouldnt be ruined by the flash...

img3276zt6.jpg

some chicks that wanted a pic...

img3283hi8.jpg

some guys

img3288vk1.jpg

overvieuw again

img3241zg3.jpg

cocktailbar

img3213gb8.jpg

overvieuw, without flash, long shutter, extremly still stand

img3257by3.jpg

for a very very dark location , and first serious attempt with the 430ex, i think i didnt do to bad ?

c&c highly appreciated!

I dont think you did too bad either! you captured the party mood ....good work!

Looking at the exif you have been using aperture priority on some of these and auto 'program' on others.

Av is fine if you do want a blended shot but the camera will set the shutter speed for the conditions (ie slow) not for a flash shot - fine if you want the clear/blur combination. On auto the camera has picked a fast enough shutter speed to just use the flash.

You might want to try manual for flash lit only shots. i usually set the camera to f8 and 1/250th which means the flash has to provide the light needed. In a big space I might open the aperture more but the above usually work out fine. The flash will output as much light as needed for your settings.

All a matter of experimenting really.

Looking at the exif you have been using aperture priority on some of these and auto 'program' on others.

Av is fine if you do want a blended shot but the camera will set the shutter speed for the conditions (ie slow) not for a flash shot - fine if you want the clear/blur combination. On auto the camera has picked a fast enough shutter speed to just use the flash.

You might want to try manual for flash lit only shots. i usually set the camera to f8 and 1/250th which means the flash has to provide the light needed. In a big space I might open the aperture more but the above usually work out fine. The flash will output as much light as needed for your settings.

All a matter of experimenting really.

I didnt use auto tho hehe:)

I used P incase the flash was the light source, and Av + flash if i want to capture the surrounding lights and the object itself..

Also ive been talking with a good party photographer on msn, and he uses a 20d + 16-35mm L + 580ex, and he sets his portrait shoots to ISO100, while i use 1600 in mine, and he uses a shutter speed of 1/6 or sometimes 0,5 / 1 , with flash, but that confuses me...

Ill have a try at manual upcoming event, see what it will do, still need to learn how to handle the 430ex

Tnx for comments!

Back