first set of portraits....what do you think?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi....ok, take two.....hopefully they will work this time!

After lurking around here for some time, its about time I posted some images. These are a few images of my sister and my little girl....Ive just been messing around and playing, but what do you think so far?
Any critique welcome.

Joni xxxx

20090121_28.jpg

20090121_32.jpg

headshotbw.jpg

20090121_41.jpg

20090125_200.jpg

20090125_212.jpg

20090125_203.jpg

Last edited:
Theres a thread in the FAQ telling you how to post a pic, i would link it but i am at work and the computers are pants and i dont have tabs.

yup i can see them!

nice but a little soft for me, thats a personal pref though and i like the b and w

The composition and the mood are both great imo but the focus is a real issue, if you can fix that your on to a winner :)

the composition and subject is great, but the focus.. not so, it might be a compression issue, but from the looks of it it is focus. make sure you're focusing on the main subject, and in terms of portrait, as long as the eyes are in focus, the rest will follow. Not sure what camera you have, but if it'd a DSLR, you should be able to choose a single focus point and just put it over the eye :)

Yes definatley look OOF to me, such a shame as they are great shots and well posed with some brilliant props

great thanks guys......I changed from lenses recently, from a canon to sigma....its got to be something to do with that, why they appear out of focus......Think I will change back, and have another go, as I recall the canon being far more sharper.

its the 28-70mm zoom....funnily enough, I have just read somewhere, of some budget lenses tested....this one came up poorest due to focus issues. I'm going to switch back to my canon 18-50 for now, until I can afford something decent. The camera is the canon 450D. xxxx

Blitzen I have the Sigma 18-200 and find the focus strange on that at times especially from any distance from the subject. I use it close up in the studio but it does struggle with full height shots. I do like my Canon 50mm f1.8 See my thread "Sarah and Georgia" and it only cost £70 :)

By the way where did you get your props?

Last edited:
Blitzen I have the Sigma 18-200 and find the focus strange on that at times especially from any distance from the subject. I use it close up in the studio but it does struggle with full height shots. I do like my Canon 50mm f1.8 See my thread "Sarah and Georgia" and it only cost £70 :)

By the way where did you get your props?

thats interesting......i'm going to try and do a similar set-up to the above images, but with the canon lens to see the difference. I am careful with my focus points on the subject.....im just not happy with the lens for sure now.
Props are from various sources - off the top of my head, one place is studio decor (just google it and it will come straight up). xxxxxx

Back