First Setup Advice Please

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I have recently decided to invest in a photography kit for a variety of reasons and i am interested in learning and developing my skills. I was just wondering if somebody could please analyse my equipment choices and any tips of recommendations that might help me on my journey.

1. The main reason i have purchased the kit is because my partner works in glamour/adult industry with pictures and movie clips and it is easier/more convenient for us to do it ourselves.
2. I have also started a business of my own recently and would also like to take some product shots
3. Also thought it would be nice for holiday pictures although this is a minor reason.

My current equipment is as follows:

1. Canon EOS 250D DSLR Camera
2. Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 III Lens (Thinking of upgrading to the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 STM Lens)
3. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
4. Canon 550EX Speedlite
5. Canon ES100 Camera Bag
6. Comica CVM-VM10II Shotgun Microphone
7. SanDisk 128GB Ultra SDXC Memory Card
8. Zomei 18" Ring Light Tripod
9. 6" LED Selfie Ring Light Clip On

The main shots i will be doing are portrait style shots from a distance of 1-4m.

I was wondering if there is any other equipment i may need such as a diffuser/softbox for the speedlite?
Umbrella Tripod Speedlite?
Octagonal/Rectangular Softbox? I noticed they come in packs of 2 usually, do i require 2?
Any other lenses or filters or speedlite coloured filters?
Wireless Trigger?
Also if i have multiple flashes/softboxes how do i set them off simultaneously?

The main equipment ive been trying to stick to as ive read is good for budget startup is Canon/Neewer/Zomei

Thanks in advance, any help would be grateful!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to TP

IMO I think as part of your learning curve of studio photography, to aid your understanding of light & lighting (as much of your question seems to be, as it should, about light/lighting products) consider buying this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-M...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1584293299&sr=8-1 written by the most knowledgeable of TP members on the subject.

But one thing for sure................do try to avoid the trap of 'all the gear but no idea,,,,' as in all genre of photographic endeavours ~ practice makes perfect!

Best of luck with all your photographic ventures :)

Last edited:
Back