First shot with Lencarta studio lights

I cant get my dog to stay still long enough for that.. lovely shot though

Lovely shot.

You can turn that off y'know ;)

I actually turned it on deliberately to see if she would look for it, and it worked!

Thanks chaps, happy with it for a first effort.

Need to move the lights away from the backdrop otherwise I'm going to be doing low key for ever.

Wow! What great textures and tones! That's superb!

I've just noticed there's a black bar on the bottom of all shots.

Looks like 1/250th is a touch too fast for the D750.

I'll have to configure it to 1/250 Auto FP I think. The wireless sync commander says it will handle 1/250

Thank you Bethy,

Rosie stayed there for a full 10 minutes whilst I tried different things bless her.

D750 and 85mm f1.8G @ 100ISO f14 for that one.

I've just noticed there's a black bar on the bottom of all shots.

Looks like 1/250th is a touch too fast for the D750.

I'll have to configure it to 1/250 Auto FP I think. The wireless sync commander says it will handle 1/250
In this situation I'd drop the SS to 1/160 instead...

For me the first image is too dark on my computer... the ears are almost completely lost except for the tips, which looks like something you forgot to edit out instead of part of the dog. The second is much better IMO, but still dropping off just a bit too hard/quick on the right side.

@sk66

I'll give that a go Steven.

I read use the fastest shutter speed you can from an online studio lighting blog so the background is invisible and so any ambient light doesn't affect the image.

I need to experiment though to see what affects what.

Thanks for the comments.

Terry.

I usually start at f8 and 125th sec with lights! F14 bit high imo! That's why shutter was so fast and black banding !

You (should) have three more controls for ambient... Aperture, ISO, and the sources themselves (turn off the lights/curtains/etc). Going to HSS will just cost you a lot of power.

BTW, 1/250* (auto FP) isn't HSS at 1/250... it just lets it go above 1/250 into HSS.

Great images there! There's no reason not to slow your shutter speed down. Also open up the aperture a bit!

Wish my first go was this good[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Look forward to seeing more

Super images, the second steals it for me. Low key isn't always easy, especially with the extra control needed, top marks for such a competent first studio session, look forward to seeing more.

Thank you everyone.
Really enjoyed my first session.
I just wish I had a larger studio (shed) to work in.
But beggars can't be choosers and I have more than most.

Onwards!

Back