First shot with Telescope

Name
gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I finally got around to getting a Telescope and an SLR mount for my new(ish) Canon 1000D.

Taken at iso800, 1/400secs and f5. I applied some high pass in Photoshop and adjusted the saturation a little to bring out some colour.

Thanks for looking

5634395374_538e9e8d8a_b.jpg

Many thanks Andy.

I do agree. Alot of moon shots pass these forums. I did get a few shots of Saturn, but they were not fit for much :D

Belter Gavin, care to share what scope and mount?

I was just thinking the same thing .
Great shot though ,really like the colour it does make a lot of differance .

Moon shots, well yes, it's such an interesting subject to photograph. I like your "take" on it but feel it's not a true representation. It's too oversaturated for my tastes. It is nice and sharp though. I've been trying Saturn too but can't get a clear image yet. It is difficult though. Must persevere. :)

Last edited:
Love it. I've said it before, it doesn't have to be 'true' to make an interesting picture. Wanna get kids interested in the Moon ? Show them this. Print it large and display it.

Many thanks. No, I had put it up on my This Is Plymouth Gallery which I think in the T&C's somewhere that they can publish

Ah, right. This is the reason I don't contribute to Pic of the week on the BBC website any more. They can use it all over the place.:)

Good job Gavin, you really don't need ISO800... ISO100 will work very well on the moon, especially when full. f/5 is a very fast scope, nicely done with the colour too. Saturn is being really tough this time around.. I tried a week or so ago and it was really hard to get a decent result. An SLR really is not the best thing for planets though, they are just so small in the FOV, you want a webcam and a barlow (astro TC) x2 or perhaps x3... There is a hack that can be used with any liveview canon, that captures the zoomed liveview as a video, I've not tried it yet, but it might be worth a shot.

Hi Gavin,

Love the detail that you have managed to get and the colours.

Neil

Good job Gavin, you really don't need ISO800... ISO100 will work very well on the moon, especially when full. f/5 is a very fast scope, nicely done with the colour too. Saturn is being really tough this time around.. I tried a week or so ago and it was really hard to get a decent result. An SLR really is not the best thing for planets though, they are just so small in the FOV, you want a webcam and a barlow (astro TC) x2 or perhaps x3... There is a hack that can be used with any liveview canon, that captures the zoomed liveview as a video, I've not tried it yet, but it might be worth a shot.

Thanks alot. It was one of your images that inspired me to attempt this :)

I love some of the images of nebula you have done, and will attempt some one day....when i know what I'm doing

Back