Critique First shots from Pinhole Camera

Name
Lionel
Edit My Images
No
A few shots from my first outing with a Pinhole Camera. They were shot on Ilford HP5 Plus which I developed myself - first since late 70s/early 80s! Scanned and brought into Photoshop where literally they just got a levels adjustment, a slight S curve, size and res reduced, converted to sRGB and saved. I'm reasonably happy with them I think! Just a bit unsure as to what my expectations should be, if you know what I mean. So would be interested in any comments, particularly from any Pinhole camera users.

img001 copy by Lionel Mitchell, on Flickr

img003 copy by Lionel Mitchell, on Flickr

img006 copy by Lionel Mitchell, on Flickr

Obviously a bit more attention to dust required!

Hi Lionel, what kind of camera is it and what size film does it take? I'm asking that because the pinholes I've used didn't have the circle of sharpness so obvious, but there are all different kinds of pinhole camera and that might be part of the charm for you. The first 2 have decent contrast so that would mean your processing was good, and the 3rd looks like it might have been taken on a cloudier day perhaps?

Classic pinhole shots, I really like them.

Hi Peter, It's this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262114230459. (Managed to get it for a bit less than that though) Seems to be very well made from what I can tell. Yeah I noticed the contrast in 3 wasn't great. Taken on the same day, though the light/weather was very changeable it could also be my processing. It was a bit rushed.

Thanks Andy

I like the early 1900 look in these, even you rendition is appropriate. Cool!

They're good, pinholes are a right bear to compose with but you've done a good job. As noted above there is an usual effect evident with a sharper centre and a sharpness fall off you'd not usually get with a pinhole.

I had the 6x12 Noon, apart from the take up side not coiling properly its a good camera even if you do look a bit weird with a block of wood atop a tripod.

I had the 6x12 one as well, but couldn't get used to winding it on and ended up with overlapping photos. :(

Would love to see a shot from the 6x12 guys. Peter, Steven. I think the block of wood on the tripod is cool as... lol

Hi Lionel, a couple here showing the good and bad side of the Noon. These are straight scans without any work done on them, so the finished articles would look a bit better.

Scan-130310-0005.jpg

Scan-130403-0001.jpg
Scan-130403-0003.jpg

Last edited:
Good shots Steve, and you definitely persevered with it more than me!

I love the Holga effect on them, but it shouldn't really be happening, should it? The thing with pinholes is that everything should be in focus. Is maybe the film not lying flat?

Good point Kieth. What about a little square of black felt glued to the back plate? (too thick?)

Nice shots Steve and Peter. Thanks for sharing. I like the format, but I like the square format too and it's new to me so I'll stick with it for now.

Back