First shots with bellows.

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a set of Pentax bellows, a Canon FD 28mm and a Pentax K 50mm from Ffordes. The adaptors etc came via Amazon from China and took an age to arrive.
The camera is an Oly EM1 and the ring flash an Oly SRF-11.

It's been great fun messing around, making stuff (I made the focussing rail) and doing tests.
The lenses are used in reverse and the the magnifications ranges from approximately 0.8x with the
I bought a set of Pentax bellows, a Canon FD 28mm and a Pentax K 50mm from Ffordes. The adaptors etc came via Amazon from China and took an age to arrive.
The camera is an Oly OM1 and the ring flash an Oly SRF-11.

It's been great fun messing around, making stuff (the focussing rail and off-camera flash mount) and doing tests.
The lenses are used in reverse and the magnifications range from approximately from 0.8x-3.7x with the 50mm and 3.3-8x with the 28mm.
The ring flash works a treat off-camera in fully auto TTL mode.

My biggest problem is vibration of the rig causing focusing problems, so the next project is a gizmo to clamp the rig to the table.

These are my VERY FIRST SHOTS, I'm reasonably satisfied.

None of the shots have been 'pulled-up'...they are as recorded by the sensor.

image by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

My VERY, VERY first shot, terrible quality.
Taken due to impatience using the 28mm with bellows at full extension.
Pin head, approx. 1.5mm dial, magnification 8x.

Last edited:
That looks like a really great setup! I've seen some where people put a tripod screw through a thick board of wood (like a large chopping board) and mount the subject on the same surface. That way vibrations are "shared" with subject and camera alike. May be worth looking into. Also, as you have a static subject, you could place it in a light tent and fire the flash at it off camera, or even use a constant source of light (Ikea do some good LED booklights for this type of thing). Not like you need it for these examples, but may be more suited to other subjects.

I know it's probably bad form to point people away from this forum, but have a look at http://photomacrography.net/. Plenty of good ideas there. Also, http://extreme-macro.co.uk/ is an excellent resource.

You've got some good shots there Dave, with nice detail.(y)

I'd be really interested to see some more of your work with this setup.

George.

Back