First SLR

Name
Aron Brown
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm new to photography but I'm taking a really keen interest. I am ready to buy an SLR but I want to make sure I'm buying one that meets my level on competence but at the same time I won't become frustrated with in the future.

I've been looking at the Nikon D40x or D80. Can you please provide any advice?

Thanks

Well my budget is around £400 although I may look to spend a little more if there are many more benefits.

If you haven't already got Nikon lenses then a better idea altogether would be to get a Canon 400D.

Rgds
Bill

Right... I assume you need a lens as well?

Here's a few prices etc:

Nikon D80 inc 18-70mm Kit Lens - Best price on Camera Price Buster is £640.99 with free delivery from Cameras2u.

Nikon D80 inc 18-135mm Kit Lens - Best Price on Camera Price Buster is £639.99 from Dixons, using code JAN20.

Alternatively if you go for the D40x:

Best price including an 18-55mm Kit lens is around £379.

Add into all the prices another £15 or so for a memory card, plus you're likely to need a bag at some point, say another £50.

HTH :)

D80 is a better long term prospect as you grow into your camera, but you're buying from Nikons 2nd tier range rather than Nikons 1st tier range.

Canon's entry level 400D slots in between the D40X and the D80.

Nikon have just discontinued the D40X and its replacement, the D60 doesn't seem to me to be much of a step forward.

Thanks everyone for your advice it's very helpful. I've got some thinking to do now... and saving :)

Back