First Smoke Art Attempts

Nice, I would try to get the base of the smoke stream closer to the right of the frame for a nice composition.
I do like the colours in the second shot.

Thanks guys (y) I know what you mean about them being too far left, I'll compose better next time to get more in the shot.

Nice shots, but if you're after critique as the thread suggests, my main critique is that this sort of shot has been done so many times before, that it really needs to be something different or interesting to stand out.

I agree with the above but only to a small extent. Smoke art is fun and ultimately something that everyone wants to try at least once which means 99% of the time shots will look similar, to me that isn't a problem if you are nailing the technique.

You could always try mirroring the image to create other shapes like my
Siamese Cat smoke art
or, if you really push your imagination, something like my (which uses different smoke images put together (but not manipulated))
Lady in Red/Jessica Rabbit smoke art

Nice shots, but if you're after critique as the thread suggests, my main critique is that this sort of shot has been done so many times before, that it really needs to be something different or interesting to stand out.

I see where you're coming from but this is the first time for me doing this sort of thing and so I really like these shots. I've seen quite a few on flickr and 500px and tbh its the simple ones that stand out to me (y)

I agree with the above but only to a small extent. Smoke art is fun and ultimately something that everyone wants to try at least once which means 99% of the time shots will look similar, to me that isn't a problem if you are nailing the technique.

You could always try mirroring the image to create other shapes like my
Siamese Cat smoke art
or, if you really push your imagination, something like my (which uses different smoke images put together (but not manipulated))
Lady in Red/Jessica Rabbit smoke art

I like what you've done those shots Stuart very creative (y) I'll have another look through my RAW files to see if I can make something different.

Back