First step in a studio

Name
phil
Edit My Images
No
Well there's a first time for everything right?

I was asked to help out a friends mrs with some dance portfolio shots and as it was my first time and for a buddy i suggested payment in the form of a model release so i can sell them on my microstock sites which she was more than happy with, we had a look through some other dance portfolios and they seem to be either modelly or a bit quirky. Hard one for a studio virgin!

Went round for a few hours the other evening to have a play around (and again tonight wearing several dresses which i will upload at a later date)

I had access to is 3 flash heads and soft boxes and a backdrop but only used 2 (none of the fancy bits i was seeing in the youtube tutorials)

What are you thoughts, views and advice as i know there's a lot of very good studio toggers on here...

Thanks for looking! :)

Knowing absolutely nothing about dance poses/pictures .....

... they look fantastic to me:
  • good poses - especially the one in mid air
  • framing is spot on for me, even though some are central - just shows there is no 'rule' that can't be 'broken'
  • model stands out well - wasn't too sure about the right side white sock but I think it is just ok and I know I would have had difficulty with that given that she has on white (is) clothes and white (ish) hair against a white background
All in all a marvellous set - you, she and her husband must be very proud of them - I would be.

fantastic poses, model is extremely interesting!! Although the key light seems spot on for exposure, the fill (im assuming you are using one) is the only thing that's bugging me a little....it's just set a little too low in power for my tastes. IMHO it just needs upping slightly to lift those shadowed areas a touch. Also looks like your key is a little too side on and needs moving around a little to help kill those shadowed areas a little more (all imho of course, which means very little!!!)

Great start though, look forward to seeing more :)

Back